Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

HELP : Capture event function keys

jxhembullajxhembulla Posts: 5Member
I am working on a wysiwyg editor and I want users to be able to insert special characters like or other characters, I do this by using the event.keycode function. My problem is that I want some other functions handled by my function keys F7-F12, but the problem is that each of this function has the same keyCode as some letters. For example F12 has its keycode=123, when character "{" has the same keycode. Is there any possible way to find out if the F12 key is pressed and differentiate from the "{" character so I can imlement different behaivor.

By the way I need it just for IE 6+

Thanx

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I am working on a wysiwyg editor and I want users to be able to insert special characters like or other characters, I do this by using the event.keycode function. My problem is that I want some other functions handled by my function keys F7-F12, but the problem is that each of this function has the same keyCode as some letters. For example F12 has its keycode=123, when character "{" has the same keycode. Is there any possible way to find out if the F12 key is pressed and differentiate from the "{" character so I can imlement different behaivor.
    :
    : By the way I need it just for IE 6+
    :
    : Thanx
    :
    Function keys are extended keys, which means that they have 2 key-codes: #0 and the actual key-code. To catch them, you first need to catch the #0 code and remember that, then catch the actual key-code and process that differently from non-extended keys (like {).
  • jxhembullajxhembulla Posts: 5Member
    : : I am working on a wysiwyg editor and I want users to be able to insert special characters like or other characters, I do this by using the event.keycode function. My problem is that I want some other functions handled by my function keys F7-F12, but the problem is that each of this function has the same keyCode as some letters. For example F12 has its keycode=123, when character "{" has the same keycode. Is there any possible way to find out if the F12 key is pressed and differentiate from the "{" character so I can imlement different behaivor.
    : :
    : : By the way I need it just for IE 6+
    : : Thanx
    : Function keys are extended keys, which means that they have 2 key-codes: #0 and the actual key-code. To catch them, you first need to catch the #0 code and remember that, then catch the actual key-code and process that differently from non-extended keys (like {).
    :

how do I catch the #0 code, like :
    if (event.keyCode==0)
    or something like this or should I do the check for actual keycode first and after that check for code #0.
  • zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : : : I am working on a wysiwyg editor and I want users to be able to insert special characters like or other characters, I do this by using the event.keycode function. My problem is that I want some other functions handled by my function keys F7-F12, but the problem is that each of this function has the same keyCode as some letters. For example F12 has its keycode=123, when character "{" has the same keycode. Is there any possible way to find out if the F12 key is pressed and differentiate from the "{" character so I can imlement different behaivor.
    : : :
    : : : By the way I need it just for IE 6+
    : : : Thanx
    : : Function keys are extended keys, which means that they have 2 key-codes: #0 and the actual key-code. To catch them, you first need to catch the #0 code and remember that, then catch the actual key-code and process that differently from non-extended keys (like {).
    :
    : how do I catch the #0 code, like :
    : if (event.keyCode==0)
    : or something like this or should I do the check for actual keycode first and after that check for code #0.
    :
    I've never done this in javascript, but in othr languages it looks something like this:
    [code]
    if (KeyCode==0)
    {
    // Extended key
    if (KeyCode==SomeValue)
    {
    // Process key
    } else ....
    } else {
    // Normal key
    if (KeyCode==SomeValue)
    {
    // Process key
    } else ....
    }
    [/code]
    I don't know if it works in javascript.
  • jxhembullajxhembulla Posts: 5Member
    : : : : I am working on a wysiwyg editor and I want users to be able to insert special characters like or other characters, I do this by using the event.keycode function. My problem is that I want some other functions handled by my function keys F7-F12, but the problem is that each of this function has the same keyCode as some letters. For example F12 has its keycode=123, when character "{" has the same keycode. Is there any possible way to find out if the F12 key is pressed and differentiate from the "{" character so I can imlement different behaivor.
    : : : :
    : : : : By the way I need it just for IE 6+
    : : : : Thanx
    : : : Function keys are extended keys, which means that they have 2 key-codes: #0 and the actual key-code. To catch them, you first need to catch the #0 code and remember that, then catch the actual key-code and process that differently from non-extended keys (like {).
    : : how do I catch the #0 code, like :
    : : if (event.keyCode==0)
    : : or something like this or should I do the check for actual keycode first and after that check for code #0.
    : I've never done this in javascript, but in othr languages it looks something like this:
    : [code]
    : if (KeyCode==0)
    : {
    : // Extended key
    : if (KeyCode==SomeValue)
    : // Process key
    : } else ....
    : } else {
    : // Normal key
    : if (KeyCode==SomeValue)
    : // Process key
    : } else ....
    : }
    : [/code]
    : I don't know if it works in javascript.
    :

in some forums I've seen it somethinfg like
    if (event.charCode==0)
    { if event.keyCode=[function keys]
    //do something here
    }

but this does not work for me because now it always gives me the value of 0, ex. : F10 key works the same as 'y' character and either I can allow both or block both (very strange).
    anyway thanx for answers