whats the difference? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

whats the difference?

Homerun31Homerun31 Posts: 99Member
Hey,

I am a pretty good PHP programmer and I wanted to create a script that ran every few minutes and my host doenst support cron jobs, but they said it would be able to do a similar job using cgi scripts. whats the difference between cgi and php? Can cgi run on its own with out someone actually going to that page?

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Hey,
    :
    : I am a pretty good PHP programmer and I wanted to create a script that ran every few minutes and my host doenst support cron jobs, but they said it would be able to do a similar job using cgi scripts. whats the difference between cgi and php? Can cgi run on its own with out someone actually going to that page?

As far as I know, a CGI program is any executable that gets called when you request it's URI. The output of that executable is what gets returned to the requestor.

PHP, of which I am not familiar, seems to be mostly for dynamically creating HTML. Whether or not it can call other executables I don't know.

Perhaps your host meant that you can write an exectuable script/program and have it installed as a CGI app, then you could have a program on your own machine request that URI every few minutes, causing the executable to run.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]