Error message not familiar with - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Error message not familiar with

ITAITA Posts: 463Member
I actually work with PHP not JavaScript so forgive any ignorances - I am however forced to work with JavaScript at times.

My script generates a page which contains JavaScript. The javascript is for a dropdown menu rollover thingy.

I receive the following error (IExplore debugger):

Error: Object Expected.
(with a line number and reference)

In the head part of the page I have a function called fwLoadMenus(). This creates the drop down menu for the page. I then reference that function by doing this:

[code]
fwLoadMenus();
[/code]

That's the line which generates the error.

What does the error mean and what is the best way to correct the error?

Please help. Many thanks,

ITA
"Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : I actually work with PHP not JavaScript so forgive any ignorances - I am however forced to work with JavaScript at times.
    :
    : My script generates a page which contains JavaScript. The javascript is for a dropdown menu rollover thingy.
    :
    : I receive the following error (IExplore debugger):
    :
    : Error: Object Expected.
    : (with a line number and reference)
    :
    : In the head part of the page I have a function called fwLoadMenus(). This creates the drop down menu for the page. I then reference that function by doing this:
    :
    : [code]
    : fwLoadMenus();
    : [/code]
    :
    : That's the line which generates the error.
    :
    : What does the error mean and what is the best way to correct the error?
    :
    : Please help. Many thanks,
    :
    : ITA
    : "Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"
    :
    A large part of the problem is IE itself. It doesn't look into the script files for the error-references. This causes an error somewhere inside a function to be listed as an error in the function call. The only sure way to find the error, is to place Alert() calls in the function code. JScript will stop executing at the error. By moving the Alert()s around you can find the line which causes the error.
    As for what the error means: in some line you make use of a method or property without specifying the object; or you call a procedure/function which takes an object as parameter, but you supply a non-object variable.