Parse String - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Parse String

chandlerbingchandlerbing Posts: 2Member
hello,

can someone help me with the following:

I am trying to create a simple method that takes in a string and a character.

the first thing i want to do is parse the string and then go in a compare each letter of the string to the character to see if it appeasr only once.

thanks!

Comments

• ronenmronenm Posts: 41Member
    : hello,
    :
    : can someone help me with the following:
    :
    : I am trying to create a simple method that takes in a string and a character.
    :
    : the first thing i want to do is parse the string and then go in a compare each letter of the string to the character to see if it appeasr only once.
    :
    : thanks!
    :

there's a string command... you can do a simple for loop and go letter by letter. i think its like this:

String str = "im beautiful"
    char c = 'i'

then do :
    for i --> length
    if str.charAt[place] == c .....blah
  • chandlerbingchandlerbing Posts: 2Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by chandlerbing at 2005-3-21 15:46:24[/red][/b][hr]
    : : hello,
    : :
    : : can someone help me with the following:
    : : I am trying to create a simple method that takes in a string and a character.
    : : the first thing i want to do is parse the string and then go in a compare each letter of the string to the character to see if it appeasr only once.
    : : thanks!
    :
    : there's a string command... you can do a simple for loop and go letter by letter. i think its like this:
    :
    : String str = "im beautiful"
    : char c = 'i'
    :
    : then do :
    : for i --> length
    : if str.charAt[place] == c .....blah
    :

Sorry, this doesn't help much... I am bad with programming.. just beginning..

But, the what I am trying to do is this:

if someone gives me a string: ex. "Hello"

I want to put this string into an array: H-e-l-l-o so that I can compare each letter for each array aposition to see if it does appear and then to see if it appears once...

• VilanyeVilanye Posts: 684Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by chandlerbing at 2005-3-21 15:46:24[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : hello,
    : : :
    : : : can someone help me with the following:
    : : : I am trying to create a simple method that takes in a string and a character.
    : : : the first thing i want to do is parse the string and then go in a compare each letter of the string to the character to see if it appeasr only once.
    : : : thanks!
    : : there's a string command... you can do a simple for loop and go letter by letter. i think its like this:
    : : String str = "im beautiful"
    : : char c = 'i'
    : : then do :
    : : for i --> length
    : : if str.charAt[place] == c .....blah
    :
    : Sorry, this doesn't help much... I am bad with programming.. just beginning..
    :
    : But, the what I am trying to do is this:
    :
    : if someone gives me a string: ex. "Hello"
    :
    : I want to put this string into an array: H-e-l-l-o so that I can compare each letter for each array aposition to see if it does appear and then to see if it appears once...
    :

Do you know the basics of loops? If so, use a for loop. Then look up the length(), charAt() and compareTo(), equals() or equalsIgnoreCase() methods in the String class.

• bengesbenges Posts: 331Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by benges at 2005-3-21 19:23:28[/red][/b][hr]
    : : [b][red]This message was edited by chandlerbing at 2005-3-21 15:46:24[/red][/b][hr]
    : : : : hello,
    : : : :
    : : : : can someone help me with the following:
    : : : : I am trying to create a simple method that takes in a string and a character.
    : : : : the first thing i want to do is parse the string and then go in a compare each letter of the string to the character to see if it appeasr only once.
    : : : : thanks!
    : : : there's a string command... you can do a simple for loop and go letter by letter. i think its like this:
    : : : String str = "im beautiful"
    : : : char c = 'i'
    : : : then do :
    : : : for i --> length
    : : : if str.charAt[place] == c .....blah
    : : Sorry, this doesn't help much... I am bad with programming.. just beginning..
    : : But, the what I am trying to do is this:
    : : if someone gives me a string: ex. "Hello"
    : : I want to put this string into an array: H-e-l-l-o so that I can compare each letter for each array aposition to see if it does appear and then to see if it appears once...
    :
    : Do you know the basics of loops? If so, use a for loop. Then look up the length(), charAt() and compareTo(), equals() or equalsIgnoreCase() methods in the String class.
    :
    :
    : okie let get it clear,

here how:
    [code]
    // an integer to hold length of your string
    int tmpI = 0;
    boolean found = false;
    // loop through the string you have
    for (tmpI = 0; tmpI <= yourStr.length() - 1; tmpI++){
    // comparing the character and the 1 you wanna compare to, if that is CHARACTER!!! else use "yourStr.equalsIgnoreCase(<yourAnotherStr>)"
    if (yourStr.charAt(tmpI) == yourChar){
    // get it!
    found = true;
    break;
    }
    }

if (found == true)
    System.out.println(" Found the character at: " + tmpI + ", Character: " + yourStr.charAt(tmpI));
    else
    System.out.println(" Not found!");
    [/code]