Mix Language Processing - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Mix Language Processing

Hi,

I would like to know if it's possible to mix Java codes with VB. Like for example, VB wants to call a procedure which was written in Java. Can that be done?

Comments

• brutallicabrutallica Posts: 20Member
    : Hi,
    :
    : I would like to know if it's possible to mix Java codes with VB. Like for example, VB wants to call a procedure which was written in Java. Can that be done?
    :
    Oops...I worded it wrongly. I meant Mixed Language Programming...not Mixed Language Processing.
  • GenjuroGenjuro Posts: 913Member
    : : Hi,
    : :
    : : I would like to know if it's possible to mix Java codes with VB. Like for example, VB wants to call a procedure which was written in Java. Can that be done?
    : Oops...I worded it wrongly. I meant Mixed Language Programming...not Mixed Language Processing.
    :

As for plain Java, as far as I know, no, you can't. Unless perhaps you place a Java applet inside a webbrowser control, but I don't know to what extent things can be hacked that way.
    But, on the other hand, MS's J++ has COM support, so it's another matter entirely, so yes, it can be done that way. But it isn't "pure" Java.
  • brutallicabrutallica Posts: 20Member
    : : : Hi,
    : : :
    : : : I would like to know if it's possible to mix Java codes with VB. Like for example, VB wants to call a procedure which was written in Java. Can that be done?
    : : :
    : : Oops...I worded it wrongly. I meant Mixed Language Programming...not Mixed Language Processing.
    :
    : As for plain Java, as far as I know, no, you can't. Unless perhaps you place a Java applet inside a webbrowser control, but I don't know to what extent things can be hacked that way.
    : But, on the other hand, MS's J++ has COM support, so it's another matter entirely, so yes, it can be done that way. But it isn't "pure" Java.

I see...I understand now then. I read about this too in a VB book and it said something about J++...that's why I was wondering if it was the same as Java. It also said about some language called Visual B++...is that another name for Visual Basic?? Or is that another language??

Thanks for your reply :)
  • the walrusthe walrus Posts: 249Member
    hah, i've never heard of "Visual B++".. i dont think it exists, but if it did wouldn't it be algol-like? wasn't "B" what "C" and therefore "C++" evolved from? so if there was a "Visual B++" it would seem to imply being based on "B" more than "BASIC", haha.