Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

need help coding a new program !

I need to learn some visual basic or other programming starting now slowly.
The main purpose is to create a program that is able to receive data packets from a network connection of some sort and make use of the data packets to turn them into information that is presentable via GUI. And also i also have to try to make the program comes with a database structure which can keep a list of stuff and with variables on it like Amount left , amount sold...

its for my school's IT team project on writting a program to help record sells of products by simply receiving data packets from each shops stuff like that.

I heard that this can be done by Vbasic. but i wonder what other language can simply do this ? I have a programming master doing the connection bit that of coz he's not a student but he say he can help me with that part with his free time. just that i have to make the other side of the software myself to talk to his data.

Besides that i have to learn DEX programming as well a coding that used for talking to electronics stuff like vending machines i really need to learn those and Vb so that both actually can talk together.
The reason i post here is that DEX is really a rare programming is there anyone here familiar with it ?

So any place to start from scratch where to go ?
like developer kit ?
websites ?
All help are welcome ! thanks a lot

Comments

• 684867684867 Posts: 110Member
    In response to your post I will point out several things:

1) VB is the best language for the situation you describe.
    2) There are activeX controls (sockets) for the network part of the
    problem and there are data access objects (DAO) for the database
    side.
    3) This is a problem of combining multiple components into a final
    application. It should not take more than a week (TOTAL) to
    complete.

I do not know DEX. Why would this be needed here? I love C++ myself
    but in THIS situation even I would use VB.

Excellence Breeds! Go Hard or Go Home.

Let Penguins rule the earth.
    Break some windows today.

• stormchaserstormchaser Posts: 5Member
    I don't know about networks, but Liberty Basic(www.libertybasic.com) is possibly the best form of BASIC for GUI applications. It's interpreted so it's a bit hard distributing, but for thirty bucks you can buy the runtime engine which lets you distribute it. It's also very easy to learn.
    : I need to learn some visual basic or other programming starting now slowly.
    : The main purpose is to create a program that is able to receive data packets from a network connection of some sort and make use of the data packets to turn them into information that is presentable via GUI. And also i also have to try to make the program comes with a database structure which can keep a list of stuff and with variables on it like Amount left , amount sold...
    :
    : its for my school's IT team project on writting a program to help record sells of products by simply receiving data packets from each shops stuff like that.
    :
    : I heard that this can be done by Vbasic. but i wonder what other language can simply do this ? I have a programming master doing the connection bit that of coz he's not a student but he say he can help me with that part with his free time. just that i have to make the other side of the software myself to talk to his data.
    :
    : Besides that i have to learn DEX programming as well a coding that used for talking to electronics stuff like vending machines i really need to learn those and Vb so that both actually can talk together.
    : The reason i post here is that DEX is really a rare programming is there anyone here familiar with it ?
    :
    : So any place to start from scratch where to go ?
    : like developer kit ?
    : websites ?
    : All help are welcome ! thanks a lot
    :

• 684867684867 Posts: 110Member
    Liberty BASIC seems pretty weak (no offense). Can it handle ActiveX controls? That is what is needed for networking. A person can simply drop the sockets control into the VB code and write an interface for whatever app is needed, then he is done.

I am not a Microsoft enthusiast, per se. But VB is really simple to use. After all it is a RAD (Rapid Application Development) environment with the largest distribution.

Excellence Breeds! Go Hard or Go Home.

Let Penguins rule the earth.
    Break some windows today.

• AlexandrescuAlexandrescu Posts: 66Member
    Absolutely, totally, 100% correct! Stik to VB!