Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Creating a website with XML and XSL

ITAITA Posts: 463Member
HTML seems to be getting a little out of date now, XHTML seems to be more in use. I want to skip learning XHTML and go straight to XML with XSL/CSS to format my pages and make them look nice to the user. What I want to know is, how many browsers support sites built using XML?

I think Firefox and IE might but I'm a little unsure. I don't want to have to use and external parser on the server to convert the XML to HTML because then I might as well use HTML to develop the site anyway.

I'm just looking for a little more information.

Please help, many thanks.

Oh I can program PHP too - how well will this integrate with the XML?

ITA

"Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"

Comments

• zibadianzibadian Posts: 6,349Member
    : HTML seems to be getting a little out of date now, XHTML seems to be more in use. I want to skip learning XHTML and go straight to XML with XSL/CSS to format my pages and make them look nice to the user. What I want to know is, how many browsers support sites built using XML?
    :
    : I think Firefox and IE might but I'm a little unsure. I don't want to have to use and external parser on the server to convert the XML to HTML because then I might as well use HTML to develop the site anyway.
    :
    : I'm just looking for a little more information.
    :
    : Please help, many thanks.
    :
    : Oh I can program PHP too - how well will this integrate with the XML?
    :
    : ITA
    :
    : "Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"
    :
    Only the windows IE supports XML, and not the Mac IE. I think all versions of Firefax and Opera support XML correctly.
    As far as I know, most common place servers support XSL to process the XML, but you should check the server's documentation to be sure. For some servers you might need to add a plug-in to support the XSL, but those plug-ins should be readily available. The CSS is handled by the client and might differ somewhat between the various browsers.
    I don't know any PHP, so I cannot tell you about the XML/PHP support, but it should be possible to use PHP instead of XSL to format the XML.
  • ITAITA Posts: 463Member
    Thanks for the reply.

ITA

"Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"