Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

VBscript problem

yrdnaljcyrdnaljc Posts: 8Member
I am trying to read a registry key (win 2k and Win XP) using the regread function. Ultimately, I want to store all of the contents of the registry key in a file then compare it to another file to check for differences. I am start with small snipets of code to get a feel for what I need to do. The code attached will display a simple message box then will read a key from the registry and display it on my browser (IE). This is all I am trying to do at this point. The message box works but I see no text (registry key contents). I must be doing something wrong. All of the books I have been reading don't go into any real depth on this and hopefully someone can help.

Thanks in advance,

/**** code starts here ****/

My First Script.html

VBScript Demo

MsgBox "Click on OK to get registry data"

Dim wshshell, strResult
Set Wshshell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Wsript.Echo WshShell.RegRead("hklmSOFTWARECompaqCIC")

/**** cod end ****/

CJ

Comments

• HackmanCHackmanC Posts: 441Member
    I "suppose" that doesn't work because the security level of IE. (I hope that works that way..., or I will be very concerned, even when it runs from a file on my PC.). Only when that is an *.vbs file, only with code, and doesnt run on IE.

--------
    : I am trying to read a registry key (win 2k and Win XP) using the regread function. Ultimately, I want to store all of the contents of the registry key in a file then compare it to another file to check for differences. I am start with small snipets of code to get a feel for what I need to do. The code attached will display a simple message box then will read a key from the registry and display it on my browser (IE). This is all I am trying to do at this point. The message box works but I see no text (registry key contents). I must be doing something wrong. All of the books I have been reading don't go into any real depth on this and hopefully someone can help.
    :
    : Thanks in advance,
    :
    : /**** code starts here ****/
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : My First Script.html
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

VBScript Demo

:
    :
    : MsgBox "Click on OK to get registry data"
    :
    : Dim wshshell, strResult
    : Set Wshshell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    : Wsript.Echo WshShell.RegRead("hklmSOFTWARECompaqCIC")
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : /**** cod end ****/
    :
    : CJ
    :

[red]Good luck![/red]
    [blue]Hackman[/blue]

• yrdnaljcyrdnaljc Posts: 8Member
    I figured out why it doesn't run...the path I used "hklmSOFTWARECompaqCIC" is case sensitive. the hklm should be HKLM. Damn, I hate when small things like that tie me up for hours! Although, I won't be making that mistake again! Also, I should state that I downloaded the Windows Scripting environment from the MS web site. That way I am not relying on IE to run my script. Thanks for the reply Hackman!

: I "suppose" that doesn't work because the security level of IE. (I hope that works that way..., or I will be very concerned, even when it runs from a file on my PC.). Only when that is an *.vbs file, only with code, and doesnt run on IE.
    :
    : --------
    : : I am trying to read a registry key (win 2k and Win XP) using the regread function. Ultimately, I want to store all of the contents of the registry key in a file then compare it to another file to check for differences. I am start with small snipets of code to get a feel for what I need to do. The code attached will display a simple message box then will read a key from the registry and display it on my browser (IE). This is all I am trying to do at this point. The message box works but I see no text (registry key contents). I must be doing something wrong. All of the books I have been reading don't go into any real depth on this and hopefully someone can help.
    : :
    : : Thanks in advance,
    : : /**** code starts here ****/
    : : My First Script.html

VBScript Demo

: : MsgBox "Click on OK to get registry data"
    : : Dim wshshell, strResult
    : : Set Wshshell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    : : Wsript.Echo WshShell.RegRead("hklmSOFTWARECompaqCIC")
    : : /**** code end ****/
    : : CJ
    :
    : [red]Good luck![/red]