Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

What does runtime exactly mean?

What does runtime files such as vbrunxx.dll, msvbvmxx.dll exactly/really means, whats is their importance for a developer?

Thanks.

Zela

Comments

• poetfreakpoetfreak Posts: 68Member
    : What does runtime files such as vbrunxx.dll, msvbvmxx.dll exactly/really means, whats is their importance for a developer?
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    : Zela
    :
    :
    They are standard libraries included by visual basic which contain the common commands and functions that make up your VB program. When your program executes a line saying:

Center.Me 'Stupid example but good enough for here

Your program just calls the libraries center method on the active form.

visual basic must actually get the screens width and height. Then get the get the windows handle (like an ID number) of the active form (ME) and then the forms width and height. then it does:
    me.left = screen.width/2 - me.width/2
    me.top = screen.height/2 - me.height/2

Without the library it doesn't know what center, me, left, top, or width
    mean or are. Your program can't run without the libraries, they are the brains under your code.

• BitByBit_ThorBitByBit_Thor Posts: 2,444Member
    : : What does runtime files such as vbrunxx.dll, msvbvmxx.dll exactly/really means, whats is their importance for a developer?
    : :
    : : Thanks.
    : : Zela
    : They are standard libraries included by visual basic which contain the common commands and functions that make up your VB program. When your program executes a line saying:
    :
    : Center.Me 'Stupid example but good enough for here
    :
    : Your program just calls the libraries center method on the active form.
    :
    : visual basic must actually get the screens width and height. Then get the get the windows handle (like an ID number) of the active form (ME) and then the forms width and height. then it does:
    : me.left = screen.width/2 - me.width/2
    : me.top = screen.height/2 - me.height/2
    :
    : Without the library it doesn't know what center, me, left, top, or width
    : mean or are. Your program can't run without the libraries, they are the brains under your code.
    :
    :
    :

The only thing in VB that isn't library bound is are the actual operators and declaration of functions, variables and also the If and Select statements (oh and don't forget the loop). So actually only the structure plus some simple operators are NOT runtime library defined. The rest is all made possible by Runtimes.
    Each high level language these days has runtime (Microsoft languages anyway)

Greets...
    Richard