Help! Google API and Spiders - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Help! Google API and Spiders

Hi,

I'm a newbie in this area so pardon me if my question is very silly.

I'm writing a program using Visual Basic 6.0, which also requires me to write a spider to search Google and then returns to my program the links which it crawled. Now, my question is...do I need to use the Google API with my spider?? If so, how? I downloaded the Google API and they have it in Java and VB.Net only...how can I go about it to work with my VB program?? Would it be possible at all??

I really need detailed explanation on this...and if anyone could help me out please. I urgently need help. Thanks!!

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Hi,
    :
    : I'm a newbie in this area so pardon me if my question is very silly.
    :
    : I'm writing a program using Visual Basic 6.0, which also requires me to write a spider to search Google and then returns to my program the links which it crawled. Now, my question is...do I need to use the Google API with my spider?? If so, how? I downloaded the Google API and they have it in Java and VB.Net only...how can I go about it to work with my VB program?? Would it be possible at all??
    :
    : I really need detailed explanation on this...and if anyone could help me out please. I urgently need help. Thanks!!

You can create a Google search URL yourself like this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=visual+basic+sucks

No API needed.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• iwilld0itiwilld0it Posts: 1,134Member
    : Hi,
    :
    : I'm a newbie in this area so pardon me if my question is very silly.
    :
    : I'm writing a program using Visual Basic 6.0, which also requires me to write a spider to search Google and then returns to my program the links which it crawled. Now, my question is...do I need to use the Google API with my spider?? If so, how? I downloaded the Google API and they have it in Java and VB.Net only...how can I go about it to work with my VB program?? Would it be possible at all??
    :
    : I really need detailed explanation on this...and if anyone could help me out please. I urgently need help. Thanks!!
    :

There is a .NET utility that creates a COM wrapper around a .NET component, so that the component can be used in VB6 for instance. However, is it worth the trouble?
  • brutallicabrutallica Posts: 20Member
    : : Hi,
    : :
    : : I'm a newbie in this area so pardon me if my question is very silly.
    : : I'm writing a program using Visual Basic 6.0, which also requires me to write a spider to search Google and then returns to my program the links which it crawled. Now, my question is...do I need to use the Google API with my spider?? If so, how? I downloaded the Google API and they have it in Java and VB.Net only...how can I go about it to work with my VB program?? Would it be possible at all??
    : : I really need detailed explanation on this...and if anyone could help me out please. I urgently need help. Thanks!!
    :
    : You can create a Google search URL yourself like this:
    :
    : http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=visual+basic+sucks
    :
    : No API needed.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    : [code]
    : $ select * from users where clue > 0
    : no rows returned
    : [/code]
    :
    : Can you please give me some code examples on how to create/use a Google search URL? This is because my program needs to read some strings and then take a few strings at a time to search in Google.
    Thanks a lot!! :)

• IntelligenceIntelligence Posts: 1Member
    Not required to use Google API.
    You can extract using INET control and use your own methos to extract links or use RegEx.

If you need more info contact me.

Thanks,
    The Intelligence
    Intelligence Software Lab
    www.islindia.com

: : Hi,
    : : I'm a newbie in this area so pardon me if my question is very silly.
    : : I'm writing a program using Visual Basic 6.0, which also requires me to write a spider to search Google and then returns to my program the links which it crawled. Now, my question is...do I need to use the Google API with my spider?? If so, how? I downloaded the Google API and they have it in Java and VB.Net only...how can I go about it to work with my VB program?? Would it be possible at all??
    : : I really need detailed explanation on this...and if anyone could help me out please. I urgently need help. Thanks!!
    :
    : You can create a Google search URL yourself like this:
    :
    : http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=visual+basic+sucks
    :
    : No API needed.
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    : [code]
    : $ select * from users where clue > 0