Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Just a newb, help me out please.

[b][red]This message was edited by SkyRider at 2005-2-15 17:47:4[/red][/b][hr]
I want to learn programming, and my sisters boyfriend told me I should try to start out on linux/unix. I want to start out on something relatively simple, and honestly I don't know exactly what I want to do with the programming, but I want to learn it, maybe design a simple game or something. What "language" should I start learning for Linux/UNIX and where can I get all the info to learn it, if not here? Thanks in advance

P.S. I am 13/m/ from northern cali. I am operating Windows XP but the boyfriend also said I can format my computer and download a free version of linux and build myself a server.

Comments

• papu_cpapu_c Member Posts: 24
    at 13 years of age u shoul first learn the basics of programming
    may be u should learn BASIC(beginners all purpose...)
    the after having good programming concepts go foe C language ON UNIX/LINIX
  • cr4sh_haxorcr4sh_haxor Member Posts: 2
    um definetly start with c and then move to c++. linux is the perfect platform to start programming on.
  • ITAITA Member Posts: 463
    : um definetly start with c and then move to c++. linux is the perfect platform to start programming on.
    :

I disagree, if you are going to learn C/C++ then start with C++. It is a common myth that you need to learn C to know C++ (I've learnt C++ and I never started with C). In fact, learning C could make it harder for you when you learn C++ because you'll have to unlearn many coding practises for C++.

C++ was my first language, and I was about the same age as you when I started. Looking back on it now, I don't think it was the best choice for a beginner. I found it difficult to start and it took a while before I was comfortable with it.

I would recommend Python or Ruby to start programming with.

Both are easy to learn and use, but are very powerful.

Not only that, but they run on Windows and Linux.

You can find Python at http://www.python.org
    and Ruby at http://www.ruby-lang.org.

As for the Linux thing, why do you want to create a server? What's wrong with Linux as a desktop system?

If you haven't used Linux before it's best to start with a nice easy distro, examples include

Mandriva (formerly Mandrake)
    Ubuntu
    Ark Linux
    SuSE
    Fedora Core

These are only a few of the many available, check out http://www.distrowatch.com/ for a list of virtually every distro available.

Many distros now, allow you to resize partitions on your hard drive as you are installing, so you can have a dual boot (you can keep Windows while you get used to Linux), with Linux and Windows on the same machine.

If you just want to use a UNIX system (not just Linux) then you might also want to check out some of the BSD's.

OpenBSD NetBSD FreeBSD. Googling will find you the appropriate pages.

http://www.linux.org/ is the main Linux start page, where you can find nearly all the information you want about everything Linux.

If you need further help with the install or anything else to do with Linux, let me know.

ITA
    "Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"

• pgvnayak_mlpgvnayak_ml Member Posts: 19
    Its really a very good initiative to start with linux. Well its true that you need to know either C or C++ to learn Linux. Not that these are mandatory but will make you the concepts clearer.
    Just being a simple programmer and not trying to learn the internals of Linux is a waste, according to me.
    Its just like being a doctor, not knowing how your blood flows and your body works. Even you can just prescribe medicines as any one pharmacy student can do...
    But you will not become a doctor.
    Understand Linux internals. But to understand it at such an early age is quite not easy. You will have to work for it. You must start from where any programmer should have started.
    Only then will you understand the grammer of programming. Dont just take it for granted...
    Well as of now just do with any programming language. Any easy one. Then understand how Linux is done.
    Once you learn how the internels are, you will easily make the sky come down for you.
    I have just now started Linux...
    Hope I would see you cross me soon.
    All the best.
    With regards,
    P.Guru Vinayak