Accessing system variables in Linux from C code - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Accessing system variables in Linux from C code

azidstarazidstar Posts: 10Member
hello everyone.

Here is an easy question.

How do I access (read and write) system variables in linux from a C program?
For example $HOSTNAME.

I've googled... searched this site but to no luck.

Thnx in advance for any help or pointers.

Sincerly Kristoffer Nordstrm

Comments

• DB1DB1 Posts: 1,142Member
    : hello everyone.
    :
    : Here is an easy question.
    :
    : How do I access (read and write) system variables in linux from a C program?
    : For example $HOSTNAME.
    :
    : I've googled... searched this site but to no luck.
    :
    : Thnx in advance for any help or pointers.
    :
    : Sincerly Kristoffer Nordstrm
    :

Not sure if this is what you want, but in there are a few environment variable functions.. setenv(), getenv(), putenv(), clearenv(), unsetenv(), and there's also "extern char **environ" (declared in , or you can declare it yourself) which lets you access the environment variables as an array of strings in the form of `name=value'.

[italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]

• azidstarazidstar Posts: 10Member
    Thnx a million.

That was exactly the functions I was looking for.
    Now I will be able to pass some data between my processes.

At least I hope so... Im just worried how "global" these variables get .... but as I said thats exactly the answer I was looking for.
    Thnx for the speedy reply.

: Not sure if this is what you want, but in there are a few
    environment variable functions.. setenv(), getenv(), putenv(),
    clearenv(), unsetenv(), and there's also "extern char **environ" (declared in , or you can declare it yourself) which lets you access the environment variables as an array of strings in the form of `name=value'.
    :
    :
    : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :

Isn't that what pipe() is used for??

: Thnx a million.
    :
    : That was exactly the functions I was looking for.
    : Now I will be able to pass some data between my processes.
    :
    : At least I hope so... Im just worried how "global" these variables get .... but as I said thats exactly the answer I was looking for.
    : Thnx for the speedy reply.
    :
    : Sincerly Kristoffer Nordstrm
    :
    :
    : : Not sure if this is what you want, but in there are a few
    : environment variable functions.. setenv(), getenv(), putenv(),
    : clearenv(), unsetenv(), and there's also "extern char **environ" (declared in , or you can declare it yourself) which lets you access the environment variables as an array of strings in the form of `name=value'.
    : :
    : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :

[italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]

• dennisparkerdennisparker Posts: 478Member
    I believe that pipe() has use in conjunction with fork() which my text tells me creates a duplicate process as the calling process, but with a different process id.

If you had completely different processes that you wanted to trade information between, I am not sure that you could do it using pipe().

;

: Isn't that what pipe() is used for??
    :
    :
    :
    : : Thnx a million.
    : : That was exactly the functions I was looking for.
    : : Now I will be able to pass some data between my processes.
    : : At least I hope so... Im just worried how "global" these variables get .... but as I said thats exactly the answer I was looking for.
    : : Thnx for the speedy reply.
    : : Sincerly Kristoffer Nordstrm
    : : : Not sure if this is what you want, but in there are a few
    : : environment variable functions.. setenv(), getenv(), putenv(),
    : : clearenv(), unsetenv(), and there's also "extern char **environ" (declared in , or you can declare it yourself) which lets you access the environment variables as an array of strings in the form of `name=value'.
    : : :
    : : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    :
    : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :

Yea you're right. Looks like named pipes would work, but there are better ways. http://www.linuxhq.com/guides/LPG/node7.html

: I believe that pipe() has use in conjunction with fork() which my text tells me creates a duplicate process as the calling process, but with a different process id.
    :
    : If you had completely different processes that you wanted to trade information between, I am not sure that you could do it using pipe().
    :
    :
    :
    : ;
    :
    : : Isn't that what pipe() is used for??
    : : : Thnx a million.
    : : : That was exactly the functions I was looking for.
    : : : Now I will be able to pass some data between my processes.
    : : : At least I hope so... Im just worried how "global" these variables get .... but as I said thats exactly the answer I was looking for.
    : : : Thnx for the speedy reply.
    : : : Sincerly Kristoffer Nordstrm
    : : : : Not sure if this is what you want, but in there are a few
    : : : environment variable functions.. setenv(), getenv(), putenv(),
    : : : clearenv(), unsetenv(), and there's also "extern char **environ" (declared in , or you can declare it yourself) which lets you access the environment variables as an array of strings in the form of `name=value'.
    : : : :
    : : : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    : : [italic][blue]To understand recursive, first you need to understand recursive[/blue][/italic]
    :
    :

• azidstarazidstar Posts: 10Member
    Thnx for the answers to both of you.

Teh situation I have is two entirely different processes with different memory and everything.
    I will definatly look at the article mentioned previuosly .... another thought is to use /proc for this.

Anyway thnx for the time and effort.