I cant even get started.... - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

I cant even get started....

So I learn html and think to myself "hrmmmmm, now how could I spiff up my website?" and the answer that came to me was Java! So I putter my way on over to every freaking website I can find, and I know how to program some java now, but I have no freaking idea what program I need to enter the data in, or where to get the data compiler, or how to get it on my website etc... so if you could give some links to a begginer that would be great!

Comments

• the walrusthe walrus Posts: 249Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by the walrus at 2005-2-8 17:49:25[/red][/b][hr]
    : So I learn html and think to myself "hrmmmmm, now how could I spiff up my website?" and the answer that came to me was Java! So I putter my way on over to every freaking website I can find, and I know how to program some java now, but I have no freaking idea what program I need to enter the data in, or where to get the data compiler, or how to get it on my website etc... so if you could give some links to a begginer that would be great!
    :

Umm hate to tell ya, but you learned the wrong thing. "Java" is a language that you use to write applications for the computer. It is *compiled* into machine code. Java can't be used to make webpages--it makes actual applications (Internet Explorer is an example of something that could have been made in Java (it wasnt, but that's the kind of thing Java makes)).

But that doesn't mean looking into Java was a total waste of time. "Java[red]script[/red]" is what's used to make webpages (along with HTML, CSS, and a lot of other things), and Javascript is very similar to Java, but unlike Java, Javascript isn't compiled, so to answer your question.. You don't need any sort of compiler to use Javascript on your website. All you do is use a tag to let the webbrowser know when to process the Javascript. You say you know HTML, so I assume you're familiar with the concept of tags, such as the tag, the image tag, etc. Well, to use Javascript, you use the tag. All you do is put it in your HTML code and put Javascript between the openning and closing tags, and when you view your page the Javascript will be executed. Here's how it looks:

[code]

Some text

[green][/green][blue]

var i = 0;

document.write('This is my first javascript page!
    ');
    document.write('Here are the numbers 1 to 10 output by javascript:
    ');
    for(i = 1; i <= 10; i++)
    document.write(i + '<br />');

[/blue][green][/green]
    Some more text

Google's logo: image

[/code]

The blue part is the javascript. Everything else is HTML. As you can see, you can use Javascript to make HTML for your webpage. This allows you to make dynamic text, so that things can change on the webpage depending on certain events.. Here's an example that changes the text of a webpage when you click a button:

[code]

onClick Example

function changeText(iText) {
    document.getElementById('DynamicTextObject').innerHTML = iText;
    }

When you click the button, Javascript will cause this text to change!

[/code]

of course, if you'd like to do Java programming as well and make applications for your computer, you can download a Java compiler for free from sun.com at [leftbr]http://www.sun.com/download/index.jsp?cat=Application Development&amp;tab=3&amp;subcat=SDKs (Software%20Development%20Kits)[rightbr]. you'll need to look through the documentation to learn how to compile using sun's tools.

• xhazardxhazard Posts: 9Member
    : : So I learn html and think to myself "hrmmmmm, now how could I spiff up my website?" and the answer that came to me was Java! So I putter my way on over to every freaking website I can find, and I know how to program some java now, but I have no freaking idea what program I need to enter the data in, or where to get the data compiler, or how to get it on my website etc... so if you could give some links to a begginer that would be great!
    :
    :
    : Umm hate to tell ya, but you learned the wrong thing. "Java" is a language that you use to write applications for the computer. It is *compiled* into machine code. Java can't be used to make webpages--it makes actual applications (Internet Explorer is an example of something that could have been made in Java (it wasnt, but that's the kind of thing Java makes)).
    :
    : Learning Java wasn't a waste of time! Because sometimes you must use Java in Web-design. You can't use only JavaScript because it has advantages and disadvantages and here comes Java in help because Java is filling the gaps from JavaScript. For example JavaScript isn't very precise and it's slow.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :
    :

• ITAITA Posts: 463Member
    :Java can't be used to make webpages

Yes it can, ever heard of JSP pages?

ITA

"Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"