File date/time comparison commands? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

File date/time comparison commands?

areidareid Posts: 3Member
I am trying to create a batch file in which the date/time of a file is compared with another file (of the same name) in another folder. If the date/timestamp has changed, the newer file is copied over to overwrite the older file.

I'm sure this can be achieved using good old-fashioned batch-file commands, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan Harris-Reid
BaseLine Data Services (UK)

Comments

• renegade_havocrenegade_havoc Posts: 6Member
    What DOS version are you using? There's a difference in writing batch files (or scripts) for Win9x & earlier versions and for those running newer OSs.

: I am trying to create a batch file in which the date/time of a file is compared with another file (of the same name) in another folder. If the date/timestamp has changed, the newer file is copied over to overwrite the older file.
    :
    : I'm sure this can be achieved using good old-fashioned batch-file commands, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
    :
    : Any help would be appreciated.
    :
    : Alan Harris-Reid
    : BaseLine Data Services (UK)
    :

• areidareid Posts: 3Member
    : What DOS version are you using? There's a difference in writing batch files (or scripts) for Win9x & earlier versions and for those running newer OSs.

Win XP

Regards,
    Alan
  • Phat NatPhat Nat Posts: 757Member
    : I am trying to create a batch file in which the date/time of a file is compared with another file (of the same name) in another folder. If the date/timestamp has changed, the newer file is copied over to overwrite the older file.
    :
    : I'm sure this can be achieved using good old-fashioned batch-file commands, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
    :
    : Any help would be appreciated.
    :
    : Alan Harris-Reid
    : BaseLine Data Services (UK)
    :

Try "XCOPY /D "

Only copies newer files. Under a DOS window, type "HELP" for a list of commands and/or "XCOPY /?"

Greets,
    Phat Nat

• areidareid Posts: 3Member
    Phat Nat, thanks for the reply.

: Try "XCOPY /D "

That does the trick! I'd completely forgotton about XCOPY - just goes to show how long it is since I've copied using DOS commands.

Regards,
    Alan