Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

File date/time comparison commands?

areidareid Posts: 3Member
I am trying to create a batch file in which the date/time of a file is compared with another file (of the same name) in another folder. If the date/timestamp has changed, the newer file is copied over to overwrite the older file.

I'm sure this can be achieved using good old-fashioned batch-file commands, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan Harris-Reid
BaseLine Data Services (UK)

Comments

• renegade_havocrenegade_havoc Posts: 6Member
    What DOS version are you using? There's a difference in writing batch files (or scripts) for Win9x & earlier versions and for those running newer OSs.

: I am trying to create a batch file in which the date/time of a file is compared with another file (of the same name) in another folder. If the date/timestamp has changed, the newer file is copied over to overwrite the older file.
    :
    : I'm sure this can be achieved using good old-fashioned batch-file commands, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
    :
    : Any help would be appreciated.
    :
    : Alan Harris-Reid
    : BaseLine Data Services (UK)
    :

• areidareid Posts: 3Member
    : What DOS version are you using? There's a difference in writing batch files (or scripts) for Win9x & earlier versions and for those running newer OSs.

Win XP

Regards,
    Alan
  • Phat NatPhat Nat Posts: 757Member
    : I am trying to create a batch file in which the date/time of a file is compared with another file (of the same name) in another folder. If the date/timestamp has changed, the newer file is copied over to overwrite the older file.
    :
    : I'm sure this can be achieved using good old-fashioned batch-file commands, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
    :
    : Any help would be appreciated.
    :
    : Alan Harris-Reid
    : BaseLine Data Services (UK)
    :

Try "XCOPY /D "

Only copies newer files. Under a DOS window, type "HELP" for a list of commands and/or "XCOPY /?"

Greets,
    Phat Nat

• areidareid Posts: 3Member
    Phat Nat, thanks for the reply.

: Try "XCOPY /D "

That does the trick! I'd completely forgotton about XCOPY - just goes to show how long it is since I've copied using DOS commands.

Regards,
    Alan