Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

fully-integrated Windows-based system

I am doing a little research on point of sales software. I see that there are a lot to choose from.

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of them are using the term fully-integrated Windows-based system in there marketing. I have very little programming knowedge but I am just finding it hard to define what that means.

Does that simply mean you need Windows to run it?

Does it mean that nothing but windows programming tools where used to make it?

When I think of fully intergrated I think of IE and the way, at least for a long time, it was integrated right into the OS. I am just confused, what are your guys opinions?

Thanks
Mark3

Comments

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    : I am doing a little research on point of sales software. I see that there are a lot to choose from.
    :
    : One thing I have noticed is that a lot of them are using the term fully-integrated Windows-based system in there marketing. I have very little programming knowedge but I am just finding it hard to define what that means.
    :
    : Does that simply mean you need Windows to run it?
    :
    : Does it mean that nothing but windows programming tools where used to make it?
    :
    : When I think of fully intergrated I think of IE and the way, at least for a long time, it was integrated right into the OS. I am just confused, what are your guys opinions?
    :
    : Thanks
    : Mark3
    :

It just sounds like marketing mumbo-jumbo. I translate it as "Windows program that will work on Windows". From a programming perspective then either a program is made for Windows, or it is made for something else. So you could not "integrate" something halfway, unless you are refering to old DOS-programs that were made for DOS, but still somewhat work in Windows. Perhaps that is what they mean, but I doubt it.

You also have Java which is an exception sence it is platform-independant. But if that was the used language I'm sure they would push on the independance part instead.
  • mark3mark3 Posts: 2Member
    : : I am doing a little research on point of sales software. I see that there are a lot to choose from.
    : :
    : : One thing I have noticed is that a lot of them are using the term fully-integrated Windows-based system in there marketing. I have very little programming knowedge but I am just finding it hard to define what that means.
    : : Does that simply mean you need Windows to run it?
    : : Does it mean that nothing but windows programming tools where used to make it?
    : : When I think of fully intergrated I think of IE and the way, at least for a long time, it was integrated right into the OS. I am just confused, what are your guys opinions?
    : : Thanks
    : : Mark3
    :
    : It just sounds like marketing mumbo-jumbo. I translate it as "Windows program that will work on Windows". From a programming perspective then either a program is made for Windows, or it is made for something else. So you could not "integrate" something halfway, unless you are refering to old DOS-programs that were made for DOS, but still somewhat work in Windows. Perhaps that is what they mean, but I doubt it.
    :
    : You also have Java which is an exception sence it is platform-independant. But if that was the used language I'm sure they would push on the independance part instead.
    :

I think you hit the nail on the head with the DOS-programs repacked as Windows programs. That is what I mean. If you have a program that was written for DOS then recoded and GUI'ed for Windows. Does that make it a Windows program? For instance, one I am looking at uses the term fully-integrated Windows-based system in there marketing keeps giving me the following error: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305521

If the program was giving that error, I would think is was still doing something in DOS in the background.

Mark
  • SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    Fully integrated can also mean it ltierally inter-twines itself with the OS. That isn't likely though. We use one at Best Buy that is blatantly DOS-based (even looks like it draws everything with Line() commands!) as it executes DOS stuff at startup and runs insanely slow. Also, debug mode is prompt-based.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]