assemly language - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

assemly language

I am haveing some trouble with a code
what i want to do is input a charater from the keyboard and print it on the next line with a "?" as the input so the user knows a input is required

Comments

• frizzzfrizzz Posts: 49Member
    : I am haveing some trouble with a code
    : what i want to do is input a charater from the keyboard and print it on the next line with a "?" as the input so the user knows a input is required
    :
    : Look at my homepage and find a lot of examples, how to deal with keyboard and output on screen in the downloadable assembler OS:
    http://www.rcfriz.de
  • mr_orchemr_orche Posts: 12Member
    : I am haveing some trouble with a code
    : what i want to do is input a charater from the keyboard and print it on the next line with a "?" as the input so the user knows a input is required

;example for inputting user name:
    org 100h
    jmp begin
    inputmsg db 'Enter your name ?',0 ;asciiz string

begin:
    mov dx, inputmsg ;this will print on the screen
    mov ah, 9 ;"Enter your name? _"
    int 21h
    ;type your keyboard handler here

• frizzzfrizzz Posts: 49Member

: int 21h
    : ;type your keyboard handler here
    :
    I'm sorry!- at least 15 years passed, since I worked with int 21h, and I do not have any information about it (maybe You'll find it using google-search).
    But if You want to know, how to read directly the input from keyboard, reading at the ports of the keyboard-controller, You could find a well commented example in the source of my OS "FDOS1", which You can download from my homepage:
    www.rcfriz.de
    My OS works in protected mode, but interfacing the keybord-controller is the same in real mode (You need to use real-mode-code of course!). You will need Your own interrupt-handler for int #1 in the interrupt-controller (You need to take care for the base- number of this controller!) and then You need to write Your own keyselection including a read-access at the keybord-controller.
    If You want to use Your code under MSDOS You will need some more code after reading the keybord-controller. You need to tell the interrupt-controller the end of interrupt too ("eoi"). In my OS I set "automatically eoi" different to MSDOS...
    :