What do you use to build multi-platform GUI apps with? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

What do you use to build multi-platform GUI apps with?

HGeneAnthonyHGeneAnthony Posts: 92Member
My background is in Java and VB. Under VB the GUI is built in to VB's IDE. In Java Swing is built in and JBuilder and Netbeans both have IDE's that support RAD. I've used C++ before and I really liked it but I need to build GUI programs. I've seen in Visual C++ they have methods for Windows but not for Linux, Linux compilers usually have methods for Linux but not for Windows. I've heard of a few that are multi-platform but I haven't used any yet. Frankly I would think creating a GUI from source only would be a pain in the ass. I'm not talking about lining things up (I'm assuming the classes I've seen would use a height, width, x, y coordinate system) but creating objects on top of objects, attaching buttons to a frame, etc. How do you people create multi-platform GUIs?

Comments

• stoberstober Posts: 9,765Member ✭✭✭
    : My background is in Java and VB. Under VB the GUI is built in to VB's IDE. In Java Swing is built in and JBuilder and Netbeans both have IDE's that support RAD. I've used C++ before and I really liked it but I need to build GUI programs. I've seen in Visual C++ they have methods for Windows but not for Linux, Linux compilers usually have methods for Linux but not for Windows. I've heard of a few that are multi-platform but I haven't used any yet. Frankly I would think creating a GUI from source only would be a pain in the ass. I'm not talking about lining things up (I'm assuming the classes I've seen would use a height, width, x, y coordinate system) but creating objects on top of objects, attaching buttons to a frame, etc. How do you people create multi-platform GUIs?
    :

QT is a multi-platform library. Its free for non-commercial use, but costs $$$ if you plan to sell your product.

http://www.trolltech.com/

• LundinLundin Posts: 3,711Member
    : My background is in Java and VB. Under VB the GUI is built in to VB's IDE. In Java Swing is built in and JBuilder and Netbeans both have IDE's that support RAD. I've used C++ before and I really liked it but I need to build GUI programs. I've seen in Visual C++ they have methods for Windows but not for Linux, Linux compilers usually have methods for Linux but not for Windows. I've heard of a few that are multi-platform but I haven't used any yet. Frankly I would think creating a GUI from source only would be a pain in the ass. I'm not talking about lining things up (I'm assuming the classes I've seen would use a height, width, x, y coordinate system) but creating objects on top of objects, attaching buttons to a frame, etc. How do you people create multi-platform GUIs?
    :

I think most Borland products have a new library called Component Library for Cross-platform (which I haven't used) ment to be used for both Linux and Windows. Read more about Borland Builder or Kylix at www.borland.com. They are of course commercial products.