mapping problem .. - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

mapping problem ..

hi ..

I have a problem about mapping a share folder which is on server. the share folder has passwords and username to be accessed. when I map the folder for the first time, it is run ok, I was asked for username and password. but when I disconnect it and map to the share folder again, It was mapped directly n neither username nor password was asked. my question is how to avoid it from getting access without being asked for username n password. I mean that whenever someone want to access the share folder, he must enter the username and password. any idea for this ??

thanks in advance

Comments

• HEPHEP Posts: 113Member
    It's no problem that you are not asked for the password a second time because other users who want to connect are still asked for it. If someone else also works on your computer then logoff before you let him. Then he will be asked for the password even if you were already connected to the share folder.
  • smile032smile032 Posts: 43Member
    : It's no problem that you are not asked for the password a second time because other users who want to connect are still asked for it. If someone else also works on your computer then logoff before you let him. Then he will be asked for the password even if you were already connected to the share folder.
    :

Ehm.. ok I see. but how can windows know that I have connected to it for the second time, so that I was not asked for password again? does windows cache the password?? if so, how can I disable the cached password?? I need to be asked for passwords for the second time map, without logging it out first. may b some help for me?

thanks in advance
  • HEPHEP Posts: 113Member
    Found this with google:

Credential Manager is a new SSO solution that Microsoft offers in Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP to provide a secured store for credential information. It allows you to input user name and passwords for various network resources and applications once, and then have the system automatically supply that information for subsequent visits to those resources without your intervention.

One example is the command:
    net use * \computer_nameshare_name /user:user_name password /savecred

Credential Manager stores user's credentials in the following files:

- Enterprise Credential Set:
    Documents and Settings%Username%Application DataMicrosoftCredentials%UserSID%Credentials

- Local Credential Set:
    Documents and Settings%Username%Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftCredentials%UserSID%Credentials

On WindowsXP, the application "Stored User Names and Passwords", that can be found under Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> User Accounts-> %Account% -> Manage my network passwords, allows you to manage this kind of credentials.

thanks for the information.. but this is not what I want to find. I want the system not to save/cache the username and password ...
    hmm.. just now I find that after I disconnect a mapped drive and precisely map again to the same server, no authentication required. But if I wait for 1-2 minute, an anthentication is required again. Hmm.. What happens in the 1-2 minute ?? (Thinking...)