Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

2D in OpenGL

Zell1388Zell1388 Member Posts: 82
I'm a bit of a beginner in OpenGL, but would like to make a 2D game in OpenGL. How would you make a 2D engine in OpenGL?

Comments

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    I'll assume you know how to make a 2d game/2d engine in dos/direct draw or some API. You can use glOrtho with the near plane = -1 and far plane = 1. Now you will get a regular 2d screen with 0, 0 to width, height values to play around with just like you would in direct draw/dos.

Rest of the game engine stuff is pretty much standard. Use quads(or 2 triangles) to and map textures. Collision etc is standard 2d issue. Most of the 2d game concepts holds good regardless of the API

: I'm a bit of a beginner in OpenGL, but would like to make a 2D game in OpenGL. How would you make a 2D engine in OpenGL?
    :

• Zell1388Zell1388 Member Posts: 82
    Alright, sounds good. I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks! :D

: I'll assume you know how to make a 2d game/2d engine in dos/direct draw or some API. You can use glOrtho with the near plane = -1 and far plane = 1. Now you will get a regular 2d screen with 0, 0 to width, height values to play around with just like you would in direct draw/dos.
    :
    : Rest of the game engine stuff is pretty much standard. Use quads(or 2 triangles) to and map textures. Collision etc is standard 2d issue. Most of the 2d game concepts holds good regardless of the API
    :
    : : I'm a bit of a beginner in OpenGL, but would like to make a 2D game in OpenGL. How would you make a 2D engine in OpenGL?
    : :
    :
    :