I need some help, I am new to this - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

I need some help, I am new to this

lethaldragon77lethaldragon77 Posts: 1Member
Hiyas, I need help making a language converter, I would like to be able to type in one box and the alternate language to come out in another that can be sent via a send key to a chat program i use, but unfortunately i dont know how to make it where the program will automatically convert it over for me, can you help with any information on how to do so, it would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Josh CodeJosh Code Posts: 675Member
    : Hiyas, I need help making a language converter, I would like to be able to type in one box and the alternate language to come out in another that can be sent via a send key to a chat program i use, but unfortunately i dont know how to make it where the program will automatically convert it over for me, can you help with any information on how to do so, it would be greatly appreciated
    :

I'd like to help you with it. I made a bit of a Tagalog -> English translator in c.

It is quite interesting to work on.
    You have to break the process down into different layers.
    1. I did it scanning each word into a structure identifying the grammatic word type of each. Some information was unique to the other language so it was just separated from the sentences and kept in memory for later steps in translations. For example, some special words in Tagalog are used to indicate tense and posession.
    2. Using the grammatic information on each word in the sentences, phrases... , another part of the program tried to recognize common patterns. These identified patterns were rearranged into their probable English equivalents.
    3. A word for word translation is done from the other language into English using a translation dictionary.
    4. Articles are inserted, operations on verbs to fit them with the objects... are done to smooth off some of the problems. For example, "we (to walk)" is converted into "we talk"

I'm taking a grammars and translators course right now. Even though it is intended for programming and scripting languages, I could probably use that to make better translation software.

Would you like to work on this together?