Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

how to build a chat server in C

dpedpe Member Posts: 1
i have problem with my work now..
i make a chatting program, which is the server program must write in C on linux, and the client must build in Java.
i have made a client program with java.
now the problem is.. i dont have any idea to make server.
anyone can help me??

Comments

• fruiter1fruiter1 Member Posts: 14
    : i have problem with my work now..
    : i make a chatting program, which is the server program must write in C on linux, and the client must build in Java.
    : i have made a client program with java.
    : now the problem is.. i dont have any idea to make server.
    : anyone can help me??
    :

Try outsourcing the job to America where UNIX/Linux development is performed by people who don't need to ask such stupid questions. If you don't have any idea on how to build a chat server in C on Linux then you obviously don't have the skills neccesary....

Now for the help you need:

1) Define the communication protocol. (I assume this is already done)
    2) The server should loop opening requested connections and read/write data from the client

• ITAITA Member Posts: 463

> Try outsourcing the job to America where UNIX/Linux development is performed by people who don't need to ask such stupid questions.

lol
    Are you trying to suggest that people from other countries always [italic]do[/italic] ask such stupid questions or simply just can't do that sort of thing altogether?! ;-)

>If you don't have any idea on how to build a chat server in C on Linux then you obviously don't have the skills neccesary....

That's a bit harsh, not exactly morale boosting. So much for encouragement.

Get yourself a copy of Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens which is *supposed* to be the bible of such things (I haven't read it but I've read a few reviews).

Learn how to do some socket programming - here's a tutorial which I used: http://www.cpp-home.com/tutorial.php?26_1

I also read this one http://www.cpp-home.com/print_t.pl?25 but I didn't find it as informative.

At the end of all that you might be able to put a few things together an get something to work! Have fun.

Hope some of this helps,

ITA

ps fruiter1, don't feel offended by my comments. It's just I've had those sort of replies before and I didn't find them too helpful.

"Let us smite the evil slime eating hordes who may befall us on our quest to be the ultimate programmers of the known universe!"

• sohbetisohbeti Member Posts: 58
    This post has been deleted.