Looking for a compiler - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Looking for a compiler

Ptr_082004Ptr_082004 Posts: 31Member
i got started in asm on an Hp49g and Masd (the compiler on it) used a different syntax.

i.e.
ax=bx instead of mov ax, bx
ax+123 instead of add ax, 0beefh ( ax+123 is short for ax=ax+123)
?ax=56 instead of cmp ax, 56

Does anyone know of a x86 compiler that allows that syntax? As you can see it's much shorter and more understandable ( statments instead of commands allow you know that ax=123 rather than figuring out that ax will equal 123 after a 'mov ax, 123' command

Thanks

Comments

• shaolin007shaolin007 Posts: 1,018Member
    : i got started in asm on an Hp49g and Masd (the compiler on it) used a different syntax.
    :
    : i.e.
    : ax=bx instead of mov ax, bx
    : ax+123 instead of add ax, 0beefh ( ax+123 is short for ax=ax+123)
    : ?ax=56 instead of cmp ax, 56
    :
    : Does anyone know of a x86 compiler that allows that syntax? As you can see it's much shorter and more understandable ( statments instead of commands allow you know that ax=123 rather than figuring out that ax will equal 123 after a 'mov ax, 123' command
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    [green]
    To me the Intel syntax is easy to follow, but then again it is the 1st syntax I actually learned.

[code]

movb $20, %ax

This would seem easier for some people even though I don't prefer the AT&T style syntax.

[/code]

As to your question, I don't know of any x86 assembler with that type of syntax.
    [/green]

• Ptr_082004Ptr_082004 Posts: 31Member
    Never mind, I just finished some code that would translate from the Hp 49g syntax to normal intel

Thanks

• Johnny13Johnny13 Posts: 128Member
    : : Does anyone know of a x86 compiler that allows that syntax? As you can see it's much shorter and more understandable ( statments instead of commands allow you know that ax=123 rather than figuring out that ax will equal 123 after a 'mov ax, 123' command
    : :
    : : Thanks
    : :
    : [green]
    : To me the Intel syntax is easy to follow, but then again it is the 1st syntax I actually learned.
    :
    : As to your question, I don't know of any x86 assembler with that type of syntax.[/green]

[purple]According to CodePedia...
    A compiler convert high level source code to binary executables.
    An assembler convert low level [italic]mnemonic statements[/italic] to binary executables which produce faster code.[/purple]

[green]"this is the x86 assembly board and not C. My C is very rusty and I haven't programmed in C in more than a year or two."[/green] http://pheaven.com/c/MsgBoard/read.asp?Board=1&MsgID=277462