Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

New Desktop Database Needed

I've been looking for days for a scalable, affordable database solution for my desktop applications. I've used Access and have been less than pleased with it's performance. SQLite has been good to me but now that I'm writing in .NET I need something with an ADO.NET provider, and the SQLite provider is an unusable beta.

Other choices I've found (but with their own limitations) :

Access (List your problems!)
CodeBase (www.codebase.com)
Turbo DB (www.turbodb.com)
MSDE (Too damned big to distribute!)

In a perfect world I'd like something that is small (IE NOT MSDE), speaks SQL, can support multiple concurrent users, is under $1000, offers royalty free licenses per *developer* and uses a single-file database (for ease of distribution). So far the leader is CodeBase, but their Windows "SQL" product is in the form of an ODBC driver, and I'd like to avoid ODBC too if possible.

It's a tall order, I know, but there are millions of databases to choose from!

Comments

• javafreekjavafreek Posts: 1Member
    Hi,

Looking at your requirements I think Daffodil DB (http://www.daffodildb.com) will be a good choice for you because it
    1. is under $1000
    2. supports multiple concurrent users
    3. speaks SQL
    4. is small
    5. uses a single-file database

but ODBC might be an area where you have to compromise as Daffodil DB being a java database supports windows/.NET thru an ODBC interface.

: I've been looking for days for a scalable, affordable database solution for my desktop applications. I've used Access and have been less than pleased with it's performance. SQLite has been good to me but now that I'm writing in .NET I need something with an ADO.NET provider, and the SQLite provider is an unusable beta.
    :
    : Other choices I've found (but with their own limitations) :
    :
    : Access (List your problems!)
    : CodeBase (www.codebase.com)
    : Turbo DB (www.turbodb.com)
    : MSDE (Too damned big to distribute!)
    :
    : In a perfect world I'd like something that is small (IE NOT MSDE), speaks SQL, can support multiple concurrent users, is under $1000, offers royalty free licenses per *developer* and uses a single-file database (for ease of distribution). So far the leader is CodeBase, but their Windows "SQL" product is in the form of an ODBC driver, and I'd like to avoid ODBC too if possible.
    :
    : It's a tall order, I know, but there are millions of databases to choose from!
    :