How to open a program by a doubleklick on it's datafile! - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How to open a program by a doubleklick on it's datafile!

Xabbu_01Xabbu_01 Posts: 1Member
I'd like to open my selfwritten program by a doubleklick on one of it's datafiles, generated by this program. This should work like opening MS-Word by doubleclicking on a .doc-file.

Ho can I pass the datafile as an argument to my program by a doubleclick??

Thank you for your thoughts

Xabbu_01

Comments

• GenjuroGenjuro Posts: 913Member
    : I'd like to open my selfwritten program by a doubleklick on one of it's datafiles, generated by this program. This should work like opening MS-Word by doubleclicking on a .doc-file.
    :
    : Ho can I pass the datafile as an argument to my program by a doubleclick??
    :
    : Thank you for your thoughts
    :
    : Xabbu_01
    :

Windows, when double clicking on a datafile will check its OLE associations (more on this later), and then run a command line which consists of "program_file_name datafile"; for instance double clicking on a "readme.txt" will generate and run "notepad readme.txt". The same also goes for dragging a datafile over a program.

VB, upon calling the Command() or Command$() functions, will return the command line as a string, so that you can easily get the name of the data file to open.

For the OLE registration required for this process to happen, I can't remember these. But you can spot easily by searching for file extensions (ie ".txt") in the registry - and I'm sure that the topic has been replied over and over in this forum, so you might also check out the older posts.
  • elrayelray Posts: 1Member
    : : I'd like to open my selfwritten program by a doubleklick on one of it's datafiles, generated by this program. This should work like opening MS-Word by doubleclicking on a .doc-file.
    : :
    : : Ho can I pass the datafile as an argument to my program by a doubleclick??
    : : Thank you for your thoughts
    : : Xabbu_01
    :
    : Windows, when double clicking on a datafile will check its OLE associations (more on this later), and then run a command line which consists of "program_file_name datafile"; for instance double clicking on a "readme.txt" will generate and run "notepad readme.txt". The same also goes for dragging a datafile over a program.
    :
    : VB, upon calling the Command() or Command$() functions, will return the command line as a string, so that you can easily get the name of the data file to open.
    :
    : For the OLE registration required for this process to happen, I can't remember these. But you can spot easily by searching for file extensions (ie ".txt") in the registry - and I'm sure that the topic has been replied over and over in this forum, so you might also check out the older posts.
    :

Xabbu_01, I'm trying to do very much the same thing as you are and I can't find much information on the subject, everbody keeps saying it's relatively easy but I can find any examples to study ..... Are you having any luck?? Would appreciate any help from anybody on this subject. Thanks