Project Source Packaging - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Project Source Packaging

Hi,
Altough I thought that my level in programming is beyond the avergae, I have encountered a problem that makes me feel disperate. After creating one of my projects I tried to run it at my friend's PC. A message occured showing that an error in Path occured. I wonder how people can spread their source code as it works irrespective of its location. Any help regarding that is sincerely appreciated
Waleed A. El-Badry

Comments

• GenjuroGenjuro Posts: 913Member
    : Hi,
    : Altough I thought that my level in programming is beyond the avergae, I have encountered a problem that makes me feel disperate. After creating one of my projects I tried to run it at my friend's PC. A message occured showing that an error in Path occured. I wonder how people can spread their source code as it works irrespective of its location. Any help regarding that is sincerely appreciated
    : Waleed A. El-Badry
    :

Using App.Path instead of assuming the directory of a file.
    If you copy all of the files your app requires in the same file as your app's .exe, you can simply write:

[code]
    Open App.Path & "myfile.dat" for input as #1
    [/code]

and, unless your users will mess with your program files (delete or move them manually - and then it suits them that it doesn't run anymore), no matter the install directory, your program will find the "myfile.dat" file.
    The same goes for subdirectories (App.Path & "MyDirMyfile.dat" will insure that your program will search for the "myfile.dat" file in the "MyDir" subfolder of your exe folder).
  • mechatronicsmechatronics Posts: 31Member
    : : Hi,
    : : Altough I thought that my level in programming is beyond the avergae, I have encountered a problem that makes me feel disperate. After creating one of my projects I tried to run it at my friend's PC. A message occured showing that an error in Path occured. I wonder how people can spread their source code as it works irrespective of its location. Any help regarding that is sincerely appreciated
    : : Waleed A. El-Badry
    : :
    :
    : Using App.Path instead of assuming the directory of a file.
    : If you copy all of the files your app requires in the same file as your app's .exe, you can simply write:
    :
    : [code]
    : Open App.Path & "myfile.dat" for input as #1
    : [/code]
    :
    : and, unless your users will mess with your program files (delete or move them manually - and then it suits them that it doesn't run anymore), no matter the install directory, your program will find the "myfile.dat" file.
    : The same goes for subdirectories (App.Path & "MyDirMyfile.dat" will insure that your program will search for the "myfile.dat" file in the "MyDir" subfolder of your exe folder).
    :

I believe that I'm aware of that fact. I meant that when you design a visual basic project, then you attempt to run it on another PC, you recieve a loading error. I don't want to run it as exe program. I want to distribute it as a source code program without the occurance of this error.