Project Source Packaging - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Project Source Packaging

Hi,
Altough I thought that my level in programming is beyond the avergae, I have encountered a problem that makes me feel disperate. After creating one of my projects I tried to run it at my friend's PC. A message occured showing that an error in Path occured. I wonder how people can spread their source code as it works irrespective of its location. Any help regarding that is sincerely appreciated
Waleed A. El-Badry

Comments

• GenjuroGenjuro Posts: 913Member
    : Hi,
    : Altough I thought that my level in programming is beyond the avergae, I have encountered a problem that makes me feel disperate. After creating one of my projects I tried to run it at my friend's PC. A message occured showing that an error in Path occured. I wonder how people can spread their source code as it works irrespective of its location. Any help regarding that is sincerely appreciated
    : Waleed A. El-Badry
    :

Using App.Path instead of assuming the directory of a file.
    If you copy all of the files your app requires in the same file as your app's .exe, you can simply write:

[code]
    Open App.Path & "myfile.dat" for input as #1
    [/code]

and, unless your users will mess with your program files (delete or move them manually - and then it suits them that it doesn't run anymore), no matter the install directory, your program will find the "myfile.dat" file.
    The same goes for subdirectories (App.Path & "MyDirMyfile.dat" will insure that your program will search for the "myfile.dat" file in the "MyDir" subfolder of your exe folder).
  • mechatronicsmechatronics Posts: 31Member
    : : Hi,
    : : Altough I thought that my level in programming is beyond the avergae, I have encountered a problem that makes me feel disperate. After creating one of my projects I tried to run it at my friend's PC. A message occured showing that an error in Path occured. I wonder how people can spread their source code as it works irrespective of its location. Any help regarding that is sincerely appreciated
    : : Waleed A. El-Badry
    : :
    :
    : Using App.Path instead of assuming the directory of a file.
    : If you copy all of the files your app requires in the same file as your app's .exe, you can simply write:
    :
    : [code]
    : Open App.Path & "myfile.dat" for input as #1
    : [/code]
    :
    : and, unless your users will mess with your program files (delete or move them manually - and then it suits them that it doesn't run anymore), no matter the install directory, your program will find the "myfile.dat" file.
    : The same goes for subdirectories (App.Path & "MyDirMyfile.dat" will insure that your program will search for the "myfile.dat" file in the "MyDir" subfolder of your exe folder).
    :

I believe that I'm aware of that fact. I meant that when you design a visual basic project, then you attempt to run it on another PC, you recieve a loading error. I don't want to run it as exe program. I want to distribute it as a source code program without the occurance of this error.