sql backup - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

sql backup

hany_hhany_h Posts: 2Member
I have an MSDE engine i connect to it using ADO. i have a databse that contain user records on my local drive. i want from time to time to select certain records and backup them into CD or DVD. but at the same time i can use the database(backup) on the CD or DVD to browse and look for users records beside my local database, so i can use both databases for browsing. how can i do that.

Im using vc++ with ado to connect to sql server desktop edition engine

Thanks

Comments

• tejal_k_mehtatejal_k_mehta Posts: 23Member
    First of tell me u r taking backup using T-SQL command "Backup database......." or u r creating a new database and copy the rows into that.

if u r using second option and copy the mdf and ldf file onto CD then u can use those files using the SQL command "ATTACH DATABASE".
    it will attach the database with SQL server from the give location and u can use that database.it will work as normal database.
    but as ur datbase is on the CD,whether it will allow updating ,i m not sure.if u want to only look at the database and don't want to update then it should work fine.
    hope this will help u.

Note:ATTACH DATABASE is T-SQL command of SQL server.

: I have an MSDE engine i connect to it using ADO. i have a databse that contain user records on my local drive. i want from time to time to select certain records and backup them into CD or DVD. but at the same time i can use the database(backup) on the CD or DVD to browse and look for users records beside my local database, so i can use both databases for browsing. how can i do that.
    :
    : Im using vc++ with ado to connect to sql server desktop edition engine
    :
    :
    : Thanks
    :

• hany_hhany_h Posts: 2Member
    thanks for the reply
    it help me a lot but i have another question is how can i backup certain records from the database, not the full database?
    Is the way is to create an empty database from the existing one and then insert the records manualy to the new database? is there any other solution?

: First of tell me u r taking backup using T-SQL command "Backup database......." or u r creating a new database and copy the rows into that.
    :
    : if u r using second option and copy the mdf and ldf file onto CD then u can use those files using the SQL command "ATTACH DATABASE".
    : it will attach the database with SQL server from the give location and u can use that database.it will work as normal database.
    : but as ur datbase is on the CD,whether it will allow updating ,i m not sure.if u want to only look at the database and don't want to update then it should work fine.
    : hope this will help u.
    :
    : Note:ATTACH DATABASE is T-SQL command of SQL server.
    :
    : : I have an MSDE engine i connect to it using ADO. i have a databse that contain user records on my local drive. i want from time to time to select certain records and backup them into CD or DVD. but at the same time i can use the database(backup) on the CD or DVD to browse and look for users records beside my local database, so i can use both databases for browsing. how can i do that.
    : :
    : : Im using vc++ with ado to connect to sql server desktop edition engine
    : : Thanks
    :
    :