Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Creating a 2D world engine

I'm rather new to DirectX, but I have made a game before in DOS, so I do have some kind of idea of how to create a game.

This leads me to my question: How could one create a simple engine with DirectX that allows the user to scroll across a bitmapped world and render sprites? What I mean by that is, I want to know how to take a bitmapped image (not necessarily a .BMP file, but just an image of a landscape, if you will) and scroll a "camera" over it so you can see all of it while also being able to see other sprites that could represent characters or items. It's a very basic idea, but I believe that if one can do this, it shouldn't be hard to build the game around that.

No, I'm not asking anyone to type up an engine that would do that, as it would probably be too much trouble, but what would one have to do or know to accomplish such a task? I've done it before in DOS, but I'm still new to DirectX and would appreciate any help at all.

Thank you!

--Nick

Comments

• Johnny13Johnny13 Member Posts: 128
    [purple]simple blit part of the background depending on the player's position to the visible surface,or build the stage with "Tiles" to save vram,like Mario games. :P[code]+-------+
    |PRIMARY|
    |SURFACE|
    +-------+
    ^^^
    +--------------------+
    | OFF-SCREEN SURFACE |
    +--------------------+[/code][/purple]
  • Zell1388Zell1388 Member Posts: 82
    Ah, thought so. Thank you very much for your feedback :)

: [purple]simple blit part of the background depending on the player's position to the visible surface,or build the stage with "Tiles" to save vram,like Mario games. :P[code]+-------+
    : |PRIMARY|
    : |SURFACE|
    : +-------+
    : ^^^
    : +--------------------+
    : | OFF-SCREEN SURFACE |
    : +--------------------+[/code][/purple]
    :
  • gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Concept is the same, be it Dos, windows, linux or any other OS. However the API's may change. The difference in Dos was that you have to write your own routines for a lot of stuff. But with Directx that part is generally done for you.

: Ah, thought so. Thank you very much for your feedback :)
    :
    : : [purple]simple blit part of the background depending on the player's position to the visible surface,or build the stage with "Tiles" to save vram,like Mario games. :P[code]+-------+
    : : |PRIMARY|
    : : |SURFACE|
    : : +-------+
    : : ^^^
    : : +--------------------+
    : : | OFF-SCREEN SURFACE |
    : : +--------------------+[/code][/purple]
    : :
    :