Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

FlashCard/Dictionary Program Idea by a Beginner

Hello!

I have an idea for a FlashCard program that flashes the definition of a word, and they must guess it. The user should be able to pick and choose which words will be displayed in the Flash Card program, as well as add words of their own to the dictionary. This program will be a windows application running on a local machine, no need for any web stuff.

My question is, what method would be best for storing the dictionary words and definitions? I was thinking an XML file, though perhap it may get rather legnthy. Perhaps there are other methods out there that I am not familiar with? Can anyone help?

Also it would be nice to be able to load pre-made dictionaries of Spanish and German and English and such. I have searched everywhere hoping for a dictionary in xml or another format that my program can load with no problems, and the user can choose which words they wish to load into the FlashCard portion. Is there any pre-made dictionary databases or xml files out there? i have looked everywhere? Perhaps I am not looking correctly!

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you Thank you thank you!

-Dominic

Comments

• Josh CodeJosh Code Posts: 675Member
    : Hello!
    :
    : I have an idea for a FlashCard program that flashes the definition of a word, and they must guess it. The user should be able to pick and choose which words will be displayed in the Flash Card program, as well as add words of their own to the dictionary. This program will be a windows application running on a local machine, no need for any web stuff.
    :
    : My question is, what method would be best for storing the dictionary words and definitions? I was thinking an XML file, though perhap it may get rather legnthy. Perhaps there are other methods out there that I am not familiar with? Can anyone help?
    :
    : Also it would be nice to be able to load pre-made dictionaries of Spanish and German and English and such. I have searched everywhere hoping for a dictionary in xml or another format that my program can load with no problems, and the user can choose which words they wish to load into the FlashCard portion. Is there any pre-made dictionary databases or xml files out there? i have looked everywhere? Perhaps I am not looking correctly!
    :
    : Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you Thank you thank you!
    :
    : -Dominic
    :

I was trying to make a language translation program before. It involved using some grammatic information about each English word but never found a free dictionary database. I just made up a list of my own of a couple hundred.

For the database format, I don't have any suggestions. I haven't used xml databases before. When I made the language translator, I just made up my own file formats to store information on each word.

If you find any dictionary databases, please contact me.