Network a game

Hello, I am completly new to programming, in fact I know nothing about programming. I am a systems engineer.
I came up with this idea about a game. does anybody know who or how should I go about it.
I have told my idea to a few friends and they all loved it.

thanks

eav

Comments

• Hey Eav,
    We need more info. Do you want to program the game yourself? Is this a hobby project or something you hope to release professionally? Is this a hardcore 3D PC game, or something more modest?
    If you give us some more parameters, we can help you figure out how to proceed.
    Cheers,

Kreitler

: Hello, I am completly new to programming, in fact I know nothing about programming. I am a systems engineer.
    : I came up with this idea about a game. does anybody know who or how should I go about it.
    : I have told my idea to a few friends and they all loved it.
    :
    :
    : thanks
    :
    : eav
    :
    :

• : Hey Eav,
    : We need more info. Do you want to program the game yourself? Is this a hobby project or something you hope to release professionally? Is this a hardcore 3D PC game, or something more modest?
    : If you give us some more parameters, we can help you figure out how to proceed.
    : Cheers,
    :
    : Kreitler
    :
    : : Hello, I am completly new to programming, in fact I know nothing about programming. I am a systems engineer.
    : : I came up with this idea about a game. does anybody know who or how should I go about it.
    : : I have told my idea to a few friends and they all loved it.
    : :
    : : thanks
    : : eav
    :
    What I was thinking I believe is already in place. but I would like to do it differently.
    here is an example of what I would like to do. I saw a golf machine in a bar I go to. in there you can play and they have tournements and such. Well wouldn't it be great if you could do the same with different games for example Grand Theft auto and stuff?
    :

• Hey Eav,
    Thanks, that helps, but we still need a little more. When you say "does anyone know who or how should I go about it," what exactly do you mean by "go about it?" Do *you* want to try to write the network code? Do you want to license your idea to someone else? Are those the decisions you're trying to make?
    Either way, the bottom line is this: the engineers and designers involved in making games like "Grand Theft Auto" need to put networking in place when they create the games. This way, the games can communicate their info (even if it's just scores) to network machines who process the information and redistribute it to other interested machines.
    So, if you're looking to network existing games, the chances are pretty slim. If you're looking to add networking to similar, upcoming games (e.g., ones you create yourself), the processes are pretty well understood, and you can find resources on writing networked games in almost any decent bookstore or in game programming websites.
    Does any of that help?

K.

: : Hey Eav,
    : : We need more info. Do you want to program the game yourself? Is this a hobby project or something you hope to release professionally? Is this a hardcore 3D PC game, or something more modest?
    : : If you give us some more parameters, we can help you figure out how to proceed.
    : : Cheers,
    : : Kreitler
    : : : Hello, I am completly new to programming, in fact I know nothing about programming. I am a systems engineer.
    : : : I came up with this idea about a game. does anybody know who or how should I go about it.
    : : : I have told my idea to a few friends and they all loved it.
    : : :
    : : : thanks
    : : : eav
    : What I was thinking I believe is already in place. but I would like to do it differently.
    : here is an example of what I would like to do. I saw a golf machine in a bar I go to. in there you can play and they have tournements and such. Well wouldn't it be great if you could do the same with different games for example Grand Theft auto and stuff?
    :
    :

• Hey K.

Thanks for the input it somewhat helps. But like I said I know nothing about programming, how can I start with game programming?

: Hey Eav,
    : Thanks, that helps, but we still need a little more. When you say "does anyone know who or how should I go about it," what exactly do you mean by "go about it?" Do *you* want to try to write the network code? Do you want to license your idea to someone else? Are those the decisions you're trying to make?
    : Either way, the bottom line is this: the engineers and designers involved in making games like "Grand Theft Auto" need to put networking in place when they create the games. This way, the games can communicate their info (even if it's just scores) to network machines who process the information and redistribute it to other interested machines.
    : So, if you're looking to network existing games, the chances are pretty slim. If you're looking to add networking to similar, upcoming games (e.g., ones you create yourself), the processes are pretty well understood, and you can find resources on writing networked games in almost any decent bookstore or in game programming websites.
    : Does any of that help?
    :
    : K.
    :
    : : : Hey Eav,
    : : : We need more info. Do you want to program the game yourself? Is this a hobby project or something you hope to release professionally? Is this a hardcore 3D PC game, or something more modest?
    : : : If you give us some more parameters, we can help you figure out how to proceed.
    : : : Cheers,
    : : : Kreitler
    : : : : Hello, I am completly new to programming, in fact I know nothing about programming. I am a systems engineer.
    : : : : I came up with this idea about a game. does anybody know who or how should I go about it.
    : : : : I have told my idea to a few friends and they all loved it.
    : : : :
    : : : : thanks
    : : : : eav
    : : What I was thinking I believe is already in place. but I would like to do it differently.
    : : here is an example of what I would like to do. I saw a golf machine in a bar I go to. in there you can play and they have tournements and such. Well wouldn't it be great if you could do the same with different games for example Grand Theft auto and stuff?
    :
    :

• Hey Eav,
    Ah...excellent -- that's the kind of question I needed.
    There are many ways to start programming. There is no "best" way -- a lot depends on how you learn and what you want to do.
    Ultimately, if you want to write networked games, you'll probably need to learn C++. However, starting into C++ cold can be needlessly difficult (C++ is a huge language with many features that you don't often -- if ever -- need). I usually recommend that people start with Java, for several reasons: first, it's free, and there are many professional quality tools that are also free. Second, Java is a great stepping stone to C++ -- they share many similarities, but Java doesn't have as many confusing features *and* it comes with a lot of "ready made" code objects that make it much easier to use, especially for a beginner. You'll still want to do some research and decide for yourself what works best. In fact, I'd recommend also checking out C# -- a new language from Microsoft that has much in common with Java but runs much faster.
    Once you pick a language, you need to decide on a system for learning. There are several decent books out there on Java game programming. There are also several free tutorials on Java game programming available on this site. You can find a very basic, beginner's series here: www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ. It will help you install Java and download a very basic, easy to use compiler/editor suite. Though this can help you get started, it won't take you where you utlimately need to go, or provide the tools you'll need for more serious work.
    You might also want to consider continuing education classes at a community college, if you have access to that. The big advantage of a class is the deadlines that it imposes which ensure you stick to your training schedule.
    As an engineer, you've undoubtedly done all of this kind of self-guided learning before, and you know what works best for you.
    If you decide to go the Java route, I can help you with some book suggestions and some further tutorial links. Java is also a good choice for learning networking, as it has strong native support for that "built in". C# may also be good in this regard, but I have no experience with that.
    I hope some of this advice is useful.
    Good luck on your quest!

K.

: Hey K.
    :
    : Thanks for the input it somewhat helps. But like I said I know nothing about programming, how can I start with game programming?
    :
    :
    : : Thanks, that helps, but we still need a little more. When you say "does anyone know who or how should I go about it," what exactly do you mean by "go about it?" Do *you* want to try to write the network code? Do you want to license your idea to someone else? Are those the decisions you're trying to make?
    : : Either way, the bottom line is this: the engineers and designers involved in making games like "Grand Theft Auto" need to put networking in place when they create the games. This way, the games can communicate their info (even if it's just scores) to network machines who process the information and redistribute it to other interested machines.
    : : So, if you're looking to network existing games, the chances are pretty slim. If you're looking to add networking to similar, upcoming games (e.g., ones you create yourself), the processes are pretty well understood, and you can find resources on writing networked games in almost any decent bookstore or in game programming websites.
    : : Does any of that help?
    : : K.
    : : : : Hey Eav,
    : : : : We need more info. Do you want to program the game yourself? Is this a hobby project or something you hope to release professionally? Is this a hardcore 3D PC game, or something more modest?
    : : : : If you give us some more parameters, we can help you figure out how to proceed.
    : : : : Cheers,
    : : : : Kreitler
    : : : : : Hello, I am completly new to programming, in fact I know nothing about programming. I am a systems engineer.
    : : : : : I came up with this idea about a game. does anybody know who or how should I go about it.
    : : : : : I have told my idea to a few friends and they all loved it.
    : : : : :
    : : : : : thanks
    : : : : : eav
    : : : What I was thinking I believe is already in place. but I would like to do it differently.
    : : : here is an example of what I would like to do. I saw a golf machine in a bar I go to. in there you can play and they have tournements and such. Well wouldn't it be great if you could do the same with different games for example Grand Theft auto and stuff?
    :
    :

• Hi K,

Thank you so very much for all the info. I have been looking at java and that sounds like a great language to learn, very portable and although a bit slow you can acomplish a lot.
    What do you think about visual basic?? or vb.net??

Once again thank you.
    I never thought to get so much useful information.

eav

: Hey Eav,
    : Ah...excellent -- that's the kind of question I needed.
    : There are many ways to start programming. There is no "best" way -- a lot depends on how you learn and what you want to do.
    : Ultimately, if you want to write networked games, you'll probably need to learn C++. However, starting into C++ cold can be needlessly difficult (C++ is a huge language with many features that you don't often -- if ever -- need). I usually recommend that people start with Java, for several reasons: first, it's free, and there are many professional quality tools that are also free. Second, Java is a great stepping stone to C++ -- they share many similarities, but Java doesn't have as many confusing features *and* it comes with a lot of "ready made" code objects that make it much easier to use, especially for a beginner. You'll still want to do some research and decide for yourself what works best. In fact, I'd recommend also checking out C# -- a new language from Microsoft that has much in common with Java but runs much faster.
    : Once you pick a language, you need to decide on a system for learning. There are several decent books out there on Java game programming. There are also several free tutorials on Java game programming available on this site. You can find a very basic, beginner's series here: www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ. It will help you install Java and download a very basic, easy to use compiler/editor suite. Though this can help you get started, it won't take you where you utlimately need to go, or provide the tools you'll need for more serious work.
    : You might also want to consider continuing education classes at a community college, if you have access to that. The big advantage of a class is the deadlines that it imposes which ensure you stick to your training schedule.
    : As an engineer, you've undoubtedly done all of this kind of self-guided learning before, and you know what works best for you.
    : If you decide to go the Java route, I can help you with some book suggestions and some further tutorial links. Java is also a good choice for learning networking, as it has strong native support for that "built in". C# may also be good in this regard, but I have no experience with that.
    : I hope some of this advice is useful.
    : Good luck on your quest!
    :
    : K.
    :
    :
    : : Hey K.
    : : Thanks for the input it somewhat helps. But like I said I know nothing about programming, how can I start with game programming?
    : : : Hey Eav,
    : : : Thanks, that helps, but we still need a little more. When you say "does anyone know who or how should I go about it," what exactly do you mean by "go about it?" Do *you* want to try to write the network code? Do you want to license your idea to someone else? Are those the decisions you're trying to make?
    : : : Either way, the bottom line is this: the engineers and designers involved in making games like "Grand Theft Auto" need to put networking in place when they create the games. This way, the games can communicate their info (even if it's just scores) to network machines who process the information and redistribute it to other interested machines.
    : : : So, if you're looking to network existing games, the chances are pretty slim. If you're looking to add networking to similar, upcoming games (e.g., ones you create yourself), the processes are pretty well understood, and you can find resources on writing networked games in almost any decent bookstore or in game programming websites.
    : : : Does any of that help?
    : : : K.
    : : : : : Hey Eav,
    : : : : : We need more info. Do you want to program the game yourself? Is this a hobby project or something you hope to release professionally? Is this a hardcore 3D PC game, or something more modest?
    : : : : : If you give us some more parameters, we can help you figure out how to proceed.
    : : : : : Cheers,
    : : : : : Kreitler
    : : : : : : Hello, I am completly new to programming, in fact I know nothing about programming. I am a systems engineer.
    : : : : : : I came up with this idea about a game. does anybody know who or how should I go about it.
    : : : : : : I have told my idea to a few friends and they all loved it.
    : : : : : :
    : : : : : : thanks
    : : : : : : eav
    : : : : What I was thinking I believe is already in place. but I would like to do it differently.
    : : : : here is an example of what I would like to do. I saw a golf machine in a bar I go to. in there you can play and they have tournements and such. Well wouldn't it be great if you could do the same with different games for example Grand Theft auto and stuff?
    :
    :

• Hi Eav,
    I'm glad this info is helpful.
    I haven't used VB for quite a while. It's gotten pretty powerful, but it's several steps removed for languages like Java and C++ in terms of its structure and syntax. Also, at least as of my last interaction with it, it tended to suffer from "Windows-itis" -- any product you make with it tends to look and feel like a desktop application, which usually isn't appropriate for games. It's possible to circumvent that, but it's extra work and not always easy to do. If you have aspirations of networking commercial games or producing products that resemble commercial games, VB probably won't meet your needs.
    .NET -- whether it's Visual Basic .NET or Visual C++.NET, is really a framework of classes that makes writing connected web applications easier. I have never used .NET, so I can't speak to its ability to give you what you want. However, based on what little I know, it sounds like it would be appropriate if you intend to write games that network via web browsers and web servers. If that's the case -- and you're satisfied working exclusively with Windows platforms -- then the .NET platform is probably worth investigating.
    I hope that answers your questions.

K.

: Hi K,
    :
    : Thank you so very much for all the info. I have been looking at java and that sounds like a great language to learn, very portable and although a bit slow you can acomplish a lot.
    : What do you think about visual basic?? or vb.net??
    :
    : Once again thank you.
    : I never thought to get so much useful information.
    :
    : eav
    :
    : : Ah...excellent -- that's the kind of question I needed.
    : : There are many ways to start programming. There is no "best" way -- a lot depends on how you learn and what you want to do.
    : : Ultimately, if you want to write networked games, you'll probably need to learn C++. However, starting into C++ cold can be needlessly difficult (C++ is a huge language with many features that you don't often -- if ever -- need). I usually recommend that people start with Java, for several reasons: first, it's free, and there are many professional quality tools that are also free. Second, Java is a great stepping stone to C++ -- they share many similarities, but Java doesn't have as many confusing features *and* it comes with a lot of "ready made" code objects that make it much easier to use, especially for a beginner. You'll still want to do some research and decide for yourself what works best. In fact, I'd recommend also checking out C# -- a new language from Microsoft that has much in common with Java but runs much faster.
    : : Once you pick a language, you need to decide on a system for learning. There are several decent books out there on Java game programming. There are also several free tutorials on Java game programming available on this site. You can find a very basic, beginner's series here: www.sleepinggiantsoftware.com/FGJ. It will help you install Java and download a very basic, easy to use compiler/editor suite. Though this can help you get started, it won't take you where you utlimately need to go, or provide the tools you'll need for more serious work.
    : : You might also want to consider continuing education classes at a community college, if you have access to that. The big advantage of a class is the deadlines that it imposes which ensure you stick to your training schedule.
    : : As an engineer, you've undoubtedly done all of this kind of self-guided learning before, and you know what works best for you.
    : : If you decide to go the Java route, I can help you with some book suggestions and some further tutorial links. Java is also a good choice for learning networking, as it has strong native support for that "built in". C# may also be good in this regard, but I have no experience with that.
    : : I hope some of this advice is useful.
    : : Good luck on your quest!
    : : K.
    : : : Hey K.
    : : : Thanks for the input it somewhat helps. But like I said I know nothing about programming, how can I start with game programming?
    : : : : Hey Eav,
    : : : : Thanks, that helps, but we still need a little more. When you say "does anyone know who or how should I go about it," what exactly do you mean by "go about it?" Do *you* want to try to write the network code? Do you want to license your idea to someone else? Are those the decisions you're trying to make?
    : : : : Either way, the bottom line is this: the engineers and designers involved in making games like "Grand Theft Auto" need to put networking in place when they create the games. This way, the games can communicate their info (even if it's just scores) to network machines who process the information and redistribute it to other interested machines.
    : : : : So, if you're looking to network existing games, the chances are pretty slim. If you're looking to add networking to similar, upcoming games (e.g., ones you create yourself), the processes are pretty well understood, and you can find resources on writing networked games in almost any decent bookstore or in game programming websites.
    : : : : Does any of that help?
    : : : : K.
    : : : : : : Hey Eav,
    : : : : : : We need more info. Do you want to program the game yourself? Is this a hobby project or something you hope to release professionally? Is this a hardcore 3D PC game, or something more modest?
    : : : : : : If you give us some more parameters, we can help you figure out how to proceed.
    : : : : : : Cheers,
    : : : : : : Kreitler
    : : : : : : : Hello, I am completly new to programming, in fact I know nothing about programming. I am a systems engineer.
    : : : : : : : I came up with this idea about a game. does anybody know who or how should I go about it.
    : : : : : : : I have told my idea to a few friends and they all loved it.
    : : : : : : :
    : : : : : : : thanks
    : : : : : : : eav
    : : : : : What I was thinking I believe is already in place. but I would like to do it differently.
    : : : : : here is an example of what I would like to do. I saw a golf machine in a bar I go to. in there you can play and they have tournements and such. Well wouldn't it be great if you could do the same with different games for example Grand Theft auto and stuff?
    :
    :