Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Basic .Net Question

glutz78glutz78 Posts: 2Member
I am new to .Net and I do not understand something seemingly basic. If i build managed code (in vb or c#) then I cannot run it on a system that does not have the .Net Framework installed, correct? This is basically like java i assume where you cant run a java app without the JRE installed. I'm questioning this because what happens if i build a VB.Net app and i want to run it on some win2k system - do i need to install the .Net Framework on that system as well? This is a lot of overhead to run just one application, right? Am I understanding correctly?

Thanks for any input

Comments

• btsebbtseb Posts: 67Member
    : I am new to .Net and I do not understand something seemingly basic. If i build managed code (in vb or c#) then I cannot run it on a system that does not have the .Net Framework installed, correct? This is basically like java i assume where you cant run a java app without the JRE installed. I'm questioning this because what happens if i build a VB.Net app and i want to run it on some win2k system - do i need to install the .Net Framework on that system as well? This is a lot of overhead to run just one application, right? Am I understanding correctly?
    :
    : Thanks for any input
    :
    Your assumption is correct. In order to run a .NET application you need to have the .NET framework in place.