Basic .Net Question - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Basic .Net Question

glutz78glutz78 Posts: 2Member
I am new to .Net and I do not understand something seemingly basic. If i build managed code (in vb or c#) then I cannot run it on a system that does not have the .Net Framework installed, correct? This is basically like java i assume where you cant run a java app without the JRE installed. I'm questioning this because what happens if i build a VB.Net app and i want to run it on some win2k system - do i need to install the .Net Framework on that system as well? This is a lot of overhead to run just one application, right? Am I understanding correctly?

Thanks for any input

Comments

• btsebbtseb Posts: 67Member
    : I am new to .Net and I do not understand something seemingly basic. If i build managed code (in vb or c#) then I cannot run it on a system that does not have the .Net Framework installed, correct? This is basically like java i assume where you cant run a java app without the JRE installed. I'm questioning this because what happens if i build a VB.Net app and i want to run it on some win2k system - do i need to install the .Net Framework on that system as well? This is a lot of overhead to run just one application, right? Am I understanding correctly?
    :
    : Thanks for any input
    :
    Your assumption is correct. In order to run a .NET application you need to have the .NET framework in place.