Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Help needed..!!

csecse Member Posts: 2
Hi all...
i'm new to computer graphics
i love graphics
but don't know how to start,
I know graphics in C/C++

but its capability is poor.
so I want to jump to directx or opengl
but don't know how to start where to start. can anybody help me about this. and online tutorials about DX or OGL.
thanks a million...

cse.

Comments

• CroWCroW Member Posts: 348
    : Hi all...
    : i'm new to computer graphics
    : i love graphics
    : but don't know how to start,
    : I know graphics in C/C++
    :
    : but its capability is poor.
    : so I want to jump to directx or opengl
    : but don't know how to start where to start. can anybody help me about this. and online tutorials about DX or OGL.
    : thanks a million...
    :
    : cse.
    :

directx is a package for developing programs with high-performance graphics(2D and 3D aswell),using sound( sourround),network and game-optimized input from keyboard,mouse,and gameports.

opengl is only capable of creating highperformance 3d (and 2d) graphics.its more easier to port to other platforms than directx-code since dx is M$-platforms only while opengl works on many different-platforms and will make it more easy to to change your code to linux,e.g.

c/c++ is a good choice for accessing both apis and its fast,too.all you need is a compiler which can link-in .lib files (all i know can do this) and create win32-applications.

i personaly prefer opengl,but when writing a game with lots of features like 5.1 sound you need some parts of the directx-package,too.so i suggest learning opengl for graphics,i think it will make starting easier than direct3d/directgraphics.when you understand opengl you its not that difficult to learn another 3d-api like d3d,many concepts are the same.

and,finaly,you need to know some basic maths(vectors,some basic matrices things,etc) for both.

so google for:

opengl tutorial win32
  • SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    Incorrect, DirectX is a package of libraries. DirectDraw is the 2D stuff, Direct3D is the 3D stuff, DirectSound is the audio, etc etc. OpenGL is just a PART of the open-source, multi-platform APIs, just as D3D is just a part of DirectX. Ever hear of OpenAL? It does Dolby 7.1 just fine. Easier to code also! I HIGHLY recomend OpenGL for graphics and OpenAL for audio simply because you can then port the program to Linux or Mac relativly easily. DirectX only works on Win32 and XBox. Insanely limited in that aspect, and it is also slower in most cases.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• CroWCroW Member Posts: 348
    : Incorrect, DirectX is a package of libraries. DirectDraw is the 2D stuff, Direct3D is the 3D stuff, DirectSound is the audio, etc etc.

as i sad before,directx is a whole package of functions providing all you need for creating games and more.

:OpenGL is just a PART of the open-source, multi-platform APIs, just as D3D is just a part of DirectX. Ever hear of OpenAL? It does Dolby 7.1 just fine. Easier to code also! I HIGHLY recomend OpenGL for graphics and OpenAL for audio simply because you can then port the program to Linux or Mac relativly easily. DirectX only works on Win32 and XBox. Insanely limited in that aspect, and it is also slower in most cases.

yes,and i heard about OpenAI for artifical intelligence,too.but is this realy as close to opengl as directsound is to direct3d?i dont think that this APIs are as old as opengl is.however,i never written anything with them.by the way:in newer runtimes (>8.0) direct3d and directdraw both are outdated and combined in direct-graphics now.however you can still use all lower version because M$ still ships all older dx-versions in the newer rumtimes.

other question: opengl is part of the win32/linux graphics-driver,what about openAL?is it installed on most machines today or do i need to install a seperate runtime?or can i link the code into my application?
    just guide me to a good openAL tutorial (and maybe some for handling input aswell) and i will delete this damn dx-sdk and have 250mb more disk-space for my mp3s ;)

do you know wether Dx-SDKs are still free in future?i heard M$ thinks from time to time to take money for the SDK and/or applications using DX?
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    First and foremost dont make this a flamewar. Regarding other question I will try to address most of it.

: : Incorrect, DirectX is a package of libraries. DirectDraw is the 2D
    stuff, Direct3D is the 3D stuff, DirectSound is the audio, etc etc.
    :
    : as i sad before,directx is a whole package of functions providing all you need for creating games and more.
    :
    : :OpenGL is just a PART of the open-source, multi-platform APIs, just as D3D is just a part of DirectX. Ever hear of OpenAL? It does Dolby 7.1 just fine. Easier to code also! I HIGHLY recomend OpenGL for graphics and OpenAL for audio simply because you can then port the program to Linux or Mac relativly easily. DirectX only works on Win32 and XBox. Insanely limited in that aspect, and it is also slower in most cases.
    :
    : yes,and i heard about OpenAI for artifical intelligence,too.but is this realy as close to opengl as directsound is to direct3d?i dont think that this APIs are as old as opengl is.however,i never written anything with them.by the way:in newer runtimes (>8.0) direct3d and directdraw both are outdated and combined in direct-graphics now.however you can still use all lower version because M$ still ships all older dx-versions in the newer rumtimes.
    :
    Regarding portability, remember - most game companies care about porting as in porting to different hardware - not different OS's. Most companies who have the money prefer to use Renderware. When it comes to OpenGL and D3D I have to say its better to use Direct3D, but its more important to learn the 3d maths nevertheless to be able to move to a different API few years later. As far as OpanAI is concerned, I think its java based and it has nothing to do with OpenAL. And AI is specific to a game anyway so most probably write their own AI or modify/enhance their own existing AI base.

: other question: opengl is part of the win32/linux graphics-driver,what about openAL?is it installed on most machines today or do i need to install a seperate runtime?or can i link the code into my application?
    : just guide me to a good openAL tutorial (and maybe some for handling input aswell) and i will delete this damn dx-sdk and have 250mb more disk-space for my mp3s ;)
    :

OpenGL and OpenAL are 2 different things. Its called OpenAL because the source is open and the functions look similar to OpenGL, but its not a part of OpenGL and it never will be. For free games I suggest fmod sound library which is a much better choice than OpenAL IMO. But then DirectSound is just fine. I could guide you to a good OpenAL tutorial but it will serve no purpose. However OpenAL libs dont come by default. You need a seperate runtime. However checking and installing wont be a big deal. They certainly should be redistributable. OpenGL libs come with a graphics driver.

: do you know wether Dx-SDKs are still free in future?i heard M$ thinks from time to time to take money for the SDK and/or applications using DX?

The day they start charging for DX sdk, ppl will look at other options. There are too any choices today and charging for a DX sdk would be a downfall for DX. Although OpenGL may not have all the cute functionalities of D3DX part of the SDK, its not a difficult or a very complex thing to write.

: :
    : : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : First and foremost dont make this a flamewar. Regarding other question I will try to address most of it.
    : Regarding portability, remember - most game companies care about porting as in porting to different hardware - not different OS's. Most companies who have the money prefer to use Renderware. When it comes to OpenGL and D3D I have to say its better to use Direct3D, but its more important to learn the 3d maths nevertheless to be able to move to a different API few years later. As far as OpanAI is concerned, I think its java based and it has nothing to do with OpenAL. And AI is specific to a game anyway so most probably write their own AI or modify/enhance their own existing AI base.
    :
    : OpenGL and OpenAL are 2 different things. Its called OpenAL because the source is open and the functions look similar to OpenGL, but its not a part of OpenGL and it never will be. For free games I suggest fmod sound library which is a much better choice than OpenAL IMO. But then DirectSound is just fine. I could guide you to a good OpenAL tutorial but it will serve no purpose. However OpenAL libs dont come by default. You need a seperate runtime. However checking and installing wont be a big deal. They certainly should be redistributable. OpenGL libs come with a graphics driver.

AL comes with WinXP. UT2003 and 2004 use AL and have the option to sue the driver that ships with XP or the one that ships with the game. I know because I am an avid UT player :D! I'm top ten in world rankings right now and gunning for #1. Bah, anyways, AL and GL ship with XP, although only GL shipped with prior Windows OSes.

Also, Microsoft has not updated the stock OpenGL drivers from versions 1.0 and 1.1, while GL is now in the 1.5 era. You can use calls from 1.2 and beyond under Win32, but it takes a tad more code.

On top of that, most game companies ARE porting games to other operating systems so that users can enjoy them. This primarily includes Linux and Mac of course. To name a few games that have GL/AL abilities for the sole purpose of porting, we can mention UT99/03/04, Thief: DS, the Legacy Engine, Quake I/II (not sure about III), and many more. You see you can only use DX (any part of it) under Win32 or on the XBox console. While DX is compatible with more hardware (such as many older ATI cards), if your game is based on it, you will not reach the full gaming community. There are a lot of Linux guys playing online games now, and companies are picking up on it. I still won't game on a server OS like Linux, but others see the need to, and that's money to be made by whoever takes the extra initiative to collect!

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• Johnny13Johnny13 Member Posts: 128
    [b][red]This message was edited by Johnny13 at 2005-1-7 23:45:4[/red][/b][hr]
    : On top of that, most game companies ARE porting games to other operating systems so that users can enjoy them. This primarily includes Linux and Mac of course.
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    [purple]Yes,one of the biggest Video games manufacturer SEGA,just released the Windows/PC port of the 3D action game "SONIC HEROS" in December,and their Dreamcast RPG title "SAKURA WAR 4",will be released in March for Windows98/Me/2000/XP.[/purple] www.sega.co.jp/pc/sakura4/
    Good for gamers ;)