Convert (MASM) .asm/.obj in Intel Hex Format - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Convert (MASM) .asm/.obj in Intel Hex Format

ingbobingbob Posts: 2Member
Hi there,

I want to make an Intel Hex File (.HEX) that will be burned in an EPROM. The sourcefile is an assembler file i wrote for the MASM assembler (no real code, only Data definitions DB DW and DD,...).
I can't find anything to convert the assembled object file in an Intel Hex Format. I formerly did this with the asm86 assembler (by using link86, loc86 and oh86), but that assembler ist that old, it won't work properly on my new PC.

Can anybody please help me? I don't have to use the MASM assembler. Maybe there is a much better way...

Thanks a lot and regards,

Ingbog

Comments

• jeffleydajeffleyda Posts: 390Member
    : Hi there,
    :
    : I want to make an Intel Hex File (.HEX) that will be burned in an EPROM. The sourcefile is an assembler file i wrote for the MASM assembler (no real code, only Data definitions DB DW and DD,...).
    : I can't find anything to convert the assembled object file in an Intel Hex Format. I formerly did this with the asm86 assembler (by using link86, loc86 and oh86), but that assembler ist that old, it won't work properly on my new PC.
    :
    : Can anybody please help me? I don't have to use the MASM assembler. Maybe there is a much better way...

There is!
    If you can get MASM+LINK to compile to a .COM file, just rename it
    to .bin or .hex or whatever you need to get it loaded into the eeprom burner application.

The linker should warn that the program has no starting address, but you don't need one since you're not really going to be executing it.

A .COM file is just binary data.

-jeff!

• ingbobingbob Posts: 2Member
    : If you can get MASM+LINK to compile to a .COM file, just rename it
    : to .bin or .hex or whatever you need to get it loaded into the eeprom burner application.
    :
    : The linker should warn that the program has no starting address, but you don't need one since you're not really going to be executing it.
    :
    : A .COM file is just binary data.
    :
    : -jeff!
    :
    :
    Thanks Jeff,

i tried to produce the right output the whole last week, but i don't get the object file linked to a .COM file. It only links to an .EXE file (even with enabled TINY mode an compiler options...)
    Maybe i use the wrong linker (i use Microsoft Incremental Linker v. 5.12.8078 coming along with MASM 7.0.9466)

regards, Ingmar

• jeffleydajeffleyda Posts: 390Member
    : i tried to produce the right output the whole last week, but i don't get the object file linked to a .COM file. It only links to an .EXE file (even with enabled TINY mode an compiler options...)
    : Maybe i use the wrong linker (i use Microsoft Incremental Linker v. 5.12.8078 coming along with MASM 7.0.9466)

ah, TASM's linker has that functionality built into it, I don't think MASM's does, which sorta explains your problem!

However, there are hundreds of programs out there like exe2com or exe2bin to convert .exe files to .com files for you.

In fact, here's one right on ph.
    http://www.programmersheaven.com/search/download.asp?FileID=3105

exe2bin even used to be supplied with DOS, I imagine they've removed it from their releases by now.

-jeff!