Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Communicate between 2 apps

I am trying to build 2 apps which will communicate with each other. The only problem is, I want to send strings. But all API functions uses only long. I have one (quite dummy) implemented solution. In each app I have a form with only one command button. When one app want something, it send keyup message to second app and it changes the command button's caption. Then first app reads it and that's the communication. But I want something better. Please help
Quaso

Comments

• JomacJomac Member Posts: 231
    : I am trying to build 2 apps which will communicate with each other. The only problem is, I want to send strings. But all API functions uses only long. I have one (quite dummy) implemented solution. In each app I have a form with only one command button. When one app want something, it send keyup message to second app and it changes the command button's caption. Then first app reads it and that's the communication. But I want something better. Please help
    : Quaso
    :

Use DDE, there are many examples around the web, the best is using API instead of vb's builtin method. There is full example code at the bottom the the page an all-api here:
    http://www.mentalis.org/apilist/DdeInitialize.shtml

The example uses a pre-set string to restore another instance of the same program but can easly be modified to pass arbitory strings between apps.
    ______
    [size=2][b][blue]J[/blue]omac.[/b][/size]