curious for knowlege - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

curious for knowlege

i want to know more about linux, how to install it if different from windows and know the types of packages that can run on it. if possible pls i need a link to download it. u can post to my email funkyfela@yahoo.com

Comments

• ITAITA Posts: 463Member
    : i want to know more about linux, how to install it if different from windows and know the types of packages that can run on it. if possible pls i need a link to download it. u can post to my email funkyfela@yahoo.com
    :

Linux is open source, so there are LOADS of different versions of it. However the most popular distros are: Mandrake, Fedora(Red hat), SuSE, Gentoo, Debian, Yoper and a few others.

SuSE is a very nice distro but you can't download it and you have to pay for it. Mandrake is another excellent distro but some of the packages are a little out of date. Fedora is probably the best to start off with as it contains up-to-date software and is quite intuitive to use. You can get fedora from the download link at fedora.redhat.com - find a mirror near you and download the ISO images. Burn them to CD's (make sure you burn them as images otherwise it won't work - I think Nero5 has an option which says Burn Image... - other packages will have something similar), and you have a working distro.

Installation is pretty simple with a nice GUI interface - make sure you know about partitioning though before you start, or you might have to accept default options (which is not always best).

Gentoo is another popular option but is quite difficult to install for a beginner - it installs by compiling from source - this takes ages and is really difficult to configure. Once it's running though it's supposed to be very fast and highly optimised for your machine because it was compiled on your machine. Debian is another difficult distro but a very stable one - it's probably best at home on a server because of it's high stability. If you want more distros goto linux.org (home of linux) and click on the distros link.

You can get most things for linux, again as it is open source there are LOADS of tools - check out freshmeat.net and sourceforge.net for some of the bigger projects. Your distro will include loads of tools and packages that you will need.

Your only problem may be if you use a software controlled windows based dialup modem to connect to the internet - it can be difficult to get drivers for these. An external modem will nearly always work, no matter what distro you use.

Oh PS - Packages will come in a variety of forms if you download. *.RPM *.tar.gz *.deb. *.RPM is for distros which use the RPM package manager (RPM'S are like .exe's for windows ie binaries) all an RPM is, is a binary program with a little bit of extra info, so that it can be searched for in a database. *.deb is like RPM but it is a binary package designed for Debian and debian derived distros. *.tar.gz is gzipped tarball which is full of source code. This will require compilation to install, this is usually quite a simple task but could be daunting for the first time user who has come from a Win background. *.tar.gz will nearly always work though (assuming you have all the correct libraries and such installed).

Here is an excellent beginners guide on OCforums: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=327281

If everything seems a little daunting a first don't worry, remember linux is about choice!

Hope this helps.

ITA