Question regarding streaming wav file - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Question regarding streaming wav file

Hi,

I want to stream wav file from server to client. I am able to read the wav file header and the data. I have the following questions:-

1. How do I break the wav file into small chunks for real time streaming?
2. How do I manage the buffer at client and server side?

Thanks.

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    I suggest you head over to GameDev and check out Beej's Socket Tutorial. You see, you have to know TCP/IP and/or UDP/IP to do what you'd like to do. Sockets are simple enough to do, until you start dealing with firewalls and such. Anyway, once you get a socket open and connected, you simply write to it as though it is a file! You can easily set the buffer size and such, read that buffer from your WAV source, then write it to the socket. Network coding is a LOT simpler than you think!

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• kanchanckanchanc Posts: 3Member
    I have a connection between client and server working. I want to use RTP for real-time audio streaming from client to server. On server side, I am able to read the wav file. Now the question is how to send the wav file in chunks to the client?

My understanding for that is the client should have a buffer and the server sends data in small parts to client. The client plays the buffered data, & by that time the server sends further data. I am confused how to break the wav file.

Thanks.

: I suggest you head over to GameDev and check out Beej's Socket Tutorial. You see, you have to know TCP/IP and/or UDP/IP to do what you'd like to do. Sockets are simple enough to do, until you start dealing with firewalls and such. Anyway, once you get a socket open and connected, you simply write to it as though it is a file! You can easily set the buffer size and such, read that buffer from your WAV source, then write it to the socket. Network coding is a LOT simpler than you think!
    :
    : -[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]
    :
    :

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAPosts: 1,035Member
    The same way you would write part of a buffer to a stream. You don't physically 'break' the actual file, you only read part of it at a time.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]