Demo programming. - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Demo programming.

I would like to make my own demo one day, and I was hoping someone here could help me a bit.

When you want to make a demo. What do you need to know? (languages, etc..)

Links would be nice :)

- Midget

Comments

• CroWCroW Posts: 348Member
    ok,lets think it through...what does a good demo provide?on the graphical side good and fast graphics.nice sound is another thing most people dont want to miss.so you will need 2 things:

1. a way to render graphics,2D and 3D aswell.i think direct3d/direct graphics are good interfaces to do that.another api is OpenGL which is a good choice,too.some people prefer D3D,other opengl....

2. sound.this depends on what kind of demo you want to create.simple playback of a wavefile for example could be done with the win32-api.for complex effects with lots of channels and suround you should use directsound.

3. programming.....ok,you need a language which needs to access the win32-api and which produces fast (and maybe small,depends on the demo) code.visual basic can do it,but i prefer c or c++.some assembly is a good idea but not a must-have.i suggest learning c/c++ and create some stuff for training.after a few thousand lines of working code you may start a bit assembly ;)

4. the best sound and graphics-engine is useless without good graphics and sound.for learning programming you can use any .wav and .bmp as sound or texture,but a real demo requires some good,selfmade stuff.
    for creating 3D-models you could use the great 3D-studio-max,however this tool isnt free and quite expensive.a free tool which is still powerful and provides some nice features to export as static arrays-includes for c/c++-compiler.this makes it easy to render your first model with your own code.

5. you will need some experience with demo/intros to create good ones.just do some,show them to your friends...

so,to make it short,buy a book about c/c++-programming.

google for:

opengl tutorial,
    directsound tutorial
    www.anim8or.com

• MidgetMidget Posts: 2Member
    Thank you :))
  • DrMartenDrMarten Posts: 748Member
    : I would like to make my own demo one day, and I was hoping someone here could help me a bit.
    :
    : When you want to make a demo. What do you need to know? (languages, etc..)
    :
    : Links would be nice :)
    :
    : - Midget
    :
    ======================================================================
    Hi,

Small code samples can also be demo's too in the sense that it "DEMOnstrates" to new users of for e.g. VB.Net, how to get around a problem.

Regards,

Dr M.

• smithlarasmithlara Posts: 7Member
    This post has been deleted.
  • twinkle19twinkle19 Posts: 6Member
    This is a well informative and nice post. I found a lot of information from here. Thank you for sharing such type of information.

Best Plumbers
    http://www.nearstop.com