Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Query optimization

Hi,
i have devlope search utitlity in VB application.
in that utillity i have given a option for Search whole database.
but it takes 15 mins for 13000 records to search whole database.

this utility is used for ACCESS ,SQL and ORACLE database.

i want to make search more faster if possible.it possible it should get the result within 5 to 7 mins for 13000 recrods.

Pls help me regrading this.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Hi,
    : i have devlope search utitlity in VB application.
    : in that utillity i have given a option for Search whole database.
    : but it takes 15 mins for 13000 records to search whole database.
    :
    : this utility is used for ACCESS ,SQL and ORACLE database.
    :
    : i want to make search more faster if possible.it possible it should get the result within 5 to 7 mins for 13000 recrods.
    :
    : Pls help me regrading this.

This question is too vague to answer accurately. What do you mean by "search whole database"? Are there multiple tables? Joins? Subqueries? Different databases may require different optimization techniques. You might be able to create indexes that will help (at least in SQLServer and Oracle).

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• tejal_k_mehtatejal_k_mehta Posts: 23Member
    Thanks,
    Query has Multiple tables. it is like this
    Select Tab1.* From tab1,tab2 where Tab1.Fiels1=Tab2.Field1

Search Whole database(i mean search all reacords, by mistake i wrote Search whole datbase) means i need to scan whole table to find out the required one and scaning of whole table takes long time and i want to minimize that time.

: : Hi,
    : : i have devlope search utitlity in VB application.
    : : in that utillity i have given a option for Search whole database.
    : : but it takes 15 mins for 13000 records to search whole database.
    : :
    : : this utility is used for ACCESS ,SQL and ORACLE database.
    : : i want to make search more faster if possible.it possible it should get the result within 5 to 7 mins for 13000 recrods.
    : : Pls help me regrading this.
    :
    : This question is too vague to answer accurately. What do you mean by "search whole database"? Are there multiple tables? Joins? Subqueries? Different databases may require different optimization techniques. You might be able to create indexes that will help (at least in SQLServer and Oracle).
    :
    :
    : [size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]
    :
    : [code]
    : $ select * from users where clue > 0
    : no rows returned
    : [/code]
    :
    :

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Thanks,
    : Query has Multiple tables. it is like this
    : Select Tab1.* From tab1,tab2 where Tab1.Fiels1=Tab2.Field1
    :
    : Search Whole database(i mean search all reacords, by mistake i wrote Search whole datbase) means i need to scan whole table to find out the required one and scaning of whole table takes long time and i want to minimize that time.

Are you scanning the rows in your program or are you using a "WHERE" clause in your SQL to make the database do the scan?

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]