hi can someone tell me this query - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

hi can someone tell me this query

Hi there
I'm using emp(default with oracle software) table . Can anyone tell me what is the query to get 3 maximum sal(salary) drawer . I don't want repeated ans like (3000) .

I mean

thank you
debasis

Comments

• Geoff-SGeoff-S Posts: 82Member
    : Hi there
    : I'm using emp(default with oracle software) table . Can anyone tell me what is the query to get 3 maximum sal(salary) drawer . I don't want repeated ans like (3000) .
    :
    : I mean
    : 5000
    : 3000
    : 2950
    :
    : thank you
    : debasis
    :
    Hi,
    Don't know about Oracle but in SQL-Server you can prefix the query with "Top 3" ( SELECT Top 3 emp.salary FROM emp) to get what you are after. I would guess thet there must be a similar command in Oracle.
    Hope that helps a bit.
    :-)

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Don't know about Oracle but in SQL-Server you can prefix the query with "Top 3" ( SELECT Top 3 emp.salary FROM emp) to get what you are after. I would guess thet there must be a similar command in Oracle.
    : Hope that helps a bit.

You'd think there would be but there isn't. At least not as of 9i.

You have to compare the rownum to some constant, but you have to do it *after* ordering the results, like this:

[code]
    select * from (
    select * from emp
    order by salary desc
    )
    where rownum <= 3
    [/code]

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]