Using Python for ASP Development - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Using Python for ASP Development

iwilld0itiwilld0it Posts: 1,134Member
Infidel:

Long time no chat. Anyways, I have been reading some old school ASP programming book and it mentioned Python as a choice of scripting language, rather than VBScript for instance. Anyways, what would you have to do to program active server pages via Python? Also, are you able to instantiate COM components via Python?

It may be a silly question, knowing that Python can develop web pages in its own special way.

Comments

• infidelinfidel Posts: 2,900Member
    : Long time no chat. Anyways, I have been reading some old school ASP programming book and it mentioned Python as a choice of scripting language, rather than VBScript for instance.

That's interesting. Makes sense in a way, I think, if ASP is just calling an external scripting engine to output html. I've never used ASP so I don't understand the implications of this.

:Anyways, what would you have to do to program active server pages via Python?

I dunno. Presuming you can set up ASP to pass script elements to python instead of VBScript I imagine you would just put your python code between the <% and %> tags.

:Also, are you able to instantiate COM components via Python?

Yes, if you have the win32 extension modules. You can even install python classes as COM components and call them from the likes of VB.

: It may be a silly question, knowing that Python can develop web pages in its own special way.

Not so silly, I suppose, if you're stuck working with IIS.

[size=5][italic][blue][RED]i[/RED]nfidel[/blue][/italic][/size]

[code]
    $ select * from users where clue > 0
    no rows returned
    [/code]

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : Infidel:
    :
    Well, I'm not infidel, but I'm sure he won't accuse me of identity theft for jumping in. ;-)

: Long time no chat. Anyways, I have been reading some old school ASP
    : programming book and it mentioned Python as a choice of scripting
    : language, rather than VBScript for instance. Anyways, what would you
    : have to do to program active server pages via Python? Also, are you able
    : to instantiate COM components via Python?
    :
    ASP isn't a language, it's just a technology and a class framework. Thus you can choose what language you write it in, if you can get support for that language in the ASP environment. Being a Perl hacker, I was aware of the ability to do this with Perl, so guessed it might be possible with Python too. A quick look around led to this article that describes how to do ASP with Python:-
    http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/082201-1.shtml

Hope this helps - have fun,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• iwilld0itiwilld0it Posts: 1,134Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by iwilld0it at 2004-10-22 23:0:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : : Infidel:
    : :
    : Well, I'm not infidel, but I'm sure he won't accuse me of identity theft for jumping in. ;-)
    :
    : : Long time no chat. Anyways, I have been reading some old school ASP
    : : programming book and it mentioned Python as a choice of scripting
    : : language, rather than VBScript for instance. Anyways, what would you
    : : have to do to program active server pages via Python? Also, are you able
    : : to instantiate COM components via Python?
    : :
    : ASP isn't a language, it's just a technology and a class framework. Thus you can choose what language you write it in, if you can get support for that language in the ASP environment. Being a Perl hacker, I was aware of the ability to do this with Perl, so guessed it might be possible with Python too. A quick look around led to this article that describes how to do ASP with Python:-
    : http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/082201-1.shtml
    :
    : Hope this helps - have fun,
    :
    : Jonathan
    :
    : ###
    : for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    : (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    : /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");
    :
    :

ASP is actually my expertise, so I know its a platform. But here is some related info I found at Python site. Thanks for your feedback.

http://www.python.org/topics/web/windows.html

I'm going to look more into this. Python has a list of functions that bypass VBScripts list by a land slide.