Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

AI using Win32 API calls

cvgvcvgv Posts: 10Member

Advanced Artificial Intelligence (AI) really makes or breaks the best game engine. Yet AI research and development traditionally required hardware neural networks and other AI algorithms simulated in software.

We are experimenting with a simple approach... An AI Testtube application that simulates an AI environment by directly calling the Win32 API. The question is whether or not the AI will outgrow this testtube as neural networks expand and the AI is improved.

If you'd like to help out: Follow the 'Computer AI' link to Download the AI Testtube as a Windows application from www.cvgv.com. We'd really like to work with you and hear your advice.

How far do you think we can go using the Win32 API directly this way?

CvGv

Comments

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    What does AI have to do with WIN32 API ? I fail to understand.

:
    : Advanced Artificial Intelligence (AI) really makes or breaks the best game engine. Yet AI research and development traditionally required hardware neural networks and other AI algorithms simulated in software.
    :
    : We are experimenting with a simple approach... An AI Testtube application that simulates an AI environment by directly calling the Win32 API. The question is whether or not the AI will outgrow this testtube as neural networks expand and the AI is improved.
    :
    : If you'd like to help out: Follow the 'Computer AI' link to Download the AI Testtube as a Windows application from www.cvgv.com. We'd really like to work with you and hear your advice.
    :
    : How far do you think we can go using the Win32 API directly this way?
    :
    : CvGv
    :
    :
    :
    :

• cvgvcvgv Posts: 10Member
    Hello! And thanks for responding.

Well, you are interfaced to the AI Algorithms for chase and evade, common in combat found in today's game engine via the Win32 API instead of a game engine.

What is your opinion of the Windows Application downloadable under the 'ComputerAI'link at www.cvgv.com ?

: What does AI have to do with WIN32 API ? I fail to understand.
    :
    : :
    : : Advanced Artificial Intelligence (AI) really makes or breaks the best game engine. Yet AI research and development traditionally required hardware neural networks and other AI algorithms simulated in software.
    : : We are experimenting with a simple approach... An AI Testtube application that simulates an AI environment by directly calling the Win32 API. The question is whether or not the AI will outgrow this testtube as neural networks expand and the AI is improved.
    : : If you'd like to help out: Follow the 'Computer AI' link to Download the AI Testtube as a Windows application from www.cvgv.com. We'd really like to work with you and hear your advice.
    : : How far do you think we can go using the Win32 API directly this way?
    : : CvGv
    :
    :

• mwronskimwronski Posts: 62Member
    What are you talking about? There are no calls in the win32 API that help you create AI in a game. You are a very confused and lost soul...

BTW if I am wrong then all those weeks I spent designing AI for MY game are wasted, because I could just call Windows to do it for me! Why would I want Windows to help me anyway...
    Hello!
    Thanks for replying. AI can "live" inside a robot, a car, and yes a Windows Application. If you download my Win32 example from my
    website at www.cvgv.com under Computer_AI then you would rethink
    your position. Haven't you seen "Clippy" in Microsoft Word, for example?

My point is using the Win32 API, you can immediately focus on designing your AI first, and then your game later, instead of the other way around as you say you did.

: What are you talking about? There are no calls in the win32 API that help you create AI in a game. You are a very confused and lost soul...
    :
    : BTW if I am wrong then all those weeks I spent designing AI for MY game are wasted, because I could just call Windows to do it for me! Why would I want Windows to help me anyway...
    :

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    Lol, no the only thing that Win32 API can do for you in terms of AI is render something. Rest is all is still code. And to test AI why would you need Win32, you can still do it on console. And if you do it once the game is renderable its so much more intutive than to render once with win32 and the rewrite with OpenGL or Direct3D again.

You are hihgly mistaken IMO.

: Hello!
    : Thanks for replying. AI can "live" inside a robot, a car, and yes a Windows Application. If you download my Win32 example from my
    : website at www.cvgv.com under Computer_AI then you would rethink
    : your position. Haven't you seen "Clippy" in Microsoft Word, for example?
    :
    : My point is using the Win32 API, you can immediately focus on designing your AI first, and then your game later, instead of the other way around as you say you did.
    :
    :
    :
    : : What are you talking about? There are no calls in the win32 API that help you create AI in a game. You are a very confused and lost soul...
    : : BTW if I am wrong then all those weeks I spent designing AI for MY game are wasted, because I could just call Windows to do it for me! Why would I want Windows to help me anyway...
    :
    :

• drchaosdrchaos Posts: 2Member
    I agree, I have been writting AI units (seperate from engine code and platforms) to be attached through DLL's. Seek, Avoid, Wander, and dynamic pathing. not useing anything WIN API specific.

I think you just need to understand better what the "Windows API" is.
    but i will take a look at your software ;)

See my work >>>> http://jimbaxter.ca

: Lol, no the only thing that Win32 API can do for you in terms of AI is render something. Rest is all is still code. And to test AI why would you need Win32, you can still do it on console. And if you do it once the game is renderable its so much more intutive than to render once with win32 and the rewrite with OpenGL or Direct3D again.
    :
    : You are hihgly mistaken IMO.
    :
    :
    : : Hello!
    : : Thanks for replying. AI can "live" inside a robot, a car, and yes a Windows Application. If you download my Win32 example from my
    : : website at www.cvgv.com under Computer_AI then you would rethink
    : : your position. Haven't you seen "Clippy" in Microsoft Word, for example?
    : : My point is using the Win32 API, you can immediately focus on designing your AI first, and then your game later, instead of the other way around as you say you did.
    : : : What are you talking about? There are no calls in the win32 API that help you create AI in a game. You are a very confused and lost soul...
    : : :
    : : : BTW if I am wrong then all those weeks I spent designing AI for MY game are wasted, because I could just call Windows to do it for me! Why would I want Windows to help me anyway...
    : : :
    :
    :

[b][red]This message was edited by cvgv at 2004-11-7 14:52:4[/red][/b][hr]
    Hello! And thanks all for disecting my code. I am friendly going to argue with you...

Gautam, My Subject: "AI using Win32 API calls", suggests the Artificial Intelligence, for example a Finite State Machine (code as you say to recognize its environment) is deciding on which Win32 API to call to use, and when to use the Win32 API based on a high resolution timer also based in the Win32 API. Sure there is some code.

BTW...Console starts to flicker without an offscreen buffer, once you start adding the first few levels of AI. The Win32 API is a nice short cut that looks clean... Really! And it lets you get right to the AI, which is cool!

Jamess Baxter, I really enjoyed you website. I hope my software example influences you to try a combat oriented version. It is kind of like dropping a goldfish in a tank of big hungry fish. Thank you!

Reference:
    Google: "Tom Joyce Assembly Language" I publish GUI source code in college textbooks on Win32 API in pure 32bit Intel Assembly Language.

I really enjoyed your comments!
    Sincerely,
    Tom Joyce