Not able to invoke .exe File from DOS mode PS Help

Hello everybody !

I am Abi , am absolutely new here. I am just starting off with a NASM Assembler. Well I have a short & simple assembly Code (type of File : Test.ASM ) which also has a Test.EXE. I invoke the NASM-IDE and then I can easily assemble , build and run this small test program.( NOTE PL. I can very well invoke the NASM-IDE from DOS since I have added the path to Sys. Variables C:>NASMIDE ) .

Now for the stupid problem. When I invoke the Test.exe program from DOS mode [ C:ASMNASM-IDE>Test ] it opens in Notepad showing the Source code only [ I have got 2 files Test.Asm which opens with notepad AND Test.EXE ]. WHY can I not invoke the Test.exe and run this .exe File from DOS as should be the case ??? . Because normal Assembly .exe programs should be running from DOS mode too. That's what I had been doing for MS-VC++ too.
Would be very thankful if somebody would help me out of this morass !!!!
have a nice day ! abi

Comments

• [b][red]This message was edited by MI_7 at 2004-10-19 9:19:7[/red][/b][hr]
    :
    :
    : Hello everybody !
    :
    : I am Abi , am absolutely new here. I am just starting off with a NASM Assembler. Well I have a short & simple assembly Code (type of File : Test.ASM ) which also has a Test.EXE. I invoke the NASM-IDE and then I can easily assemble , build and run this small test program.( NOTE PL. I can very well invoke the NASM-IDE from DOS since I have added the path to Sys. Variables C:>NASMIDE ) .
    :
    : Now for the stupid problem. When I invoke the Test.exe program from DOS mode [ C:ASMNASM-IDE>Test ] it opens in Notepad showing the Source code only [ I have got 2 files Test.Asm which opens with notepad AND Test.EXE ]. WHY can I not invoke the Test.exe and run this .exe File from DOS as should be the case ??? . Because normal Assembly .exe programs should be running from DOS mode too. That's what I had been doing for MS-VC++ too.
    : Would be very thankful if somebody would help me out of this morass !!!!
    : have a nice day ! abi
    :
    :

This sounds very wierd, looks like your 'DOS' is prefering .asm to .exe
    1. try C:ASMNASM-IDE>test.exe (like including the .EXE)
    2. i said 'DOS' before couse of an emulated version of DOS in windows u
    are using. I never had such a problem but i think your windows is messing your stuff up.
    (try in dos mode, by using diskette or shut off the assosiation of .ASM to notepad, u can do that in explorer under Extra-Diroptions-filetypes (sorry but i use dutch windows sow i freely translated it.))

have fun!

• Hello !!!

Thanks a lot for your help . Well now as I type test.exe at the DOS mode the program runs. It is funny that I should have to write the .exe extension too . Anyway thanks for the help.

Have fun