RMI from Active state - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

RMI from Active state

saridskisaridski Posts: 56Member
Hi,

I want to nterface with a RMI Server v0.1. I have looked at packages via ppm but I haven't been able to find any RMI packages. Are there any for Perl?

Thanks in advance.
/Sarid

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : I want to nterface with a RMI Server v0.1. I have looked at packages via
    : ppm but I haven't been able to find any RMI packages. Are there any for
    : Perl?
    :
    If you can't find what you want in PPM, then CPAN is the other place to look (PPM only has a subset of what is available at CPAN). I just did a search for RMI at:-
    http://search.cpan.org/
    And it turned up a module that claims to connect to an RMI server. The fact that I have no idea what RMI is doesn't really help, but it could well be what you're looking for.

Hope this helps a bit,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• saridskisaridski Posts: 56Member
    Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your response.

RMI stands for Remote Method Invocation which is Sun's (Java) DCOM. Its quite good. I couldn't be bothered to write anything in Java though.

If I want to install CPAN packages into an Active state environment, is it just a question of copying the packages to the right folder? Eg. Net::RMI = perlNetRMI ??

Thanks very much.
    /S.
  • WeirdofreakWeirdofreak Posts: 439Member
    You can also use the CPAN module or the ppm, but that's the way I do it. You might need another subdirectory in there, look at @INC to check where it looks for modules. I think it's perllib, perlsitelib and another place, but they should be prety obvious - they'll have plenty of modules already in them.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : You can also use the CPAN module or the ppm, but that's the way I do it. You might need another subdirectory in there, look at @INC to check where it looks for modules. I think it's perllib, perlsitelib and another place, but they should be prety obvious - they'll have plenty of modules already in them.
    :
    Just copying the files into place is generally not a nice way to do it - some modules, e.g. XS ones, are partly written in C and thus need compilation as well as installation. Copying will work for the simple modules though.

Provided you have a make tool (and maybe a C compiler, if it's an XS module) installed, for most CPAN modules you extract the archive you downloaded, change into the directory of stuff it extracted and then type:-

perl Makefile.PL
    make
    make install

Which will do the right thing. Note if you're using Windows and have Visual C++ you will be using nmake instead of make. It's possible you'll have no C compiler or build tools on your computer; Windows doesn't ship with any. :-(

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");