RMI from Active state - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

RMI from Active state

saridskisaridski Posts: 56Member
Hi,

I want to nterface with a RMI Server v0.1. I have looked at packages via ppm but I haven't been able to find any RMI packages. Are there any for Perl?

Thanks in advance.
/Sarid

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : I want to nterface with a RMI Server v0.1. I have looked at packages via
    : ppm but I haven't been able to find any RMI packages. Are there any for
    : Perl?
    :
    If you can't find what you want in PPM, then CPAN is the other place to look (PPM only has a subset of what is available at CPAN). I just did a search for RMI at:-
    http://search.cpan.org/
    And it turned up a module that claims to connect to an RMI server. The fact that I have no idea what RMI is doesn't really help, but it could well be what you're looking for.

Hope this helps a bit,

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");

• saridskisaridski Posts: 56Member
    Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your response.

RMI stands for Remote Method Invocation which is Sun's (Java) DCOM. Its quite good. I couldn't be bothered to write anything in Java though.

If I want to install CPAN packages into an Active state environment, is it just a question of copying the packages to the right folder? Eg. Net::RMI = perlNetRMI ??

Thanks very much.
    /S.
  • WeirdofreakWeirdofreak Posts: 439Member
    You can also use the CPAN module or the ppm, but that's the way I do it. You might need another subdirectory in there, look at @INC to check where it looks for modules. I think it's perllib, perlsitelib and another place, but they should be prety obvious - they'll have plenty of modules already in them.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : You can also use the CPAN module or the ppm, but that's the way I do it. You might need another subdirectory in there, look at @INC to check where it looks for modules. I think it's perllib, perlsitelib and another place, but they should be prety obvious - they'll have plenty of modules already in them.
    :
    Just copying the files into place is generally not a nice way to do it - some modules, e.g. XS ones, are partly written in C and thus need compilation as well as installation. Copying will work for the simple modules though.

Provided you have a make tool (and maybe a C compiler, if it's an XS module) installed, for most CPAN modules you extract the archive you downloaded, change into the directory of stuff it extracted and then type:-

perl Makefile.PL
    make
    make install

Which will do the right thing. Note if you're using Windows and have Visual C++ you will be using nmake instead of make. It's possible you'll have no C compiler or build tools on your computer; Windows doesn't ship with any. :-(

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");