Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Does OpenGL suck?

mwronskimwronski Member Posts: 62
OK I dont think it does. But I have heard some disturbing news. Mircosoft apparently works directly with 3d vendors to create hardware supported rendering (HAL functionality). Thus advanced effects work faster than OpenGL, and are easier to implement. (I have dowloaded the DX9 SDK and I actually liked it... built in support for dynamic fast enviro mapping as well as "fur"). With opengl you must hard code these things. Although DX code is rather messy, I am considering switching from OpenGL. I mean I really hate accessing these vendor-specific extensions and DirectX is easier and quickly seams to becoming the standard in Win32 games - the sector I want to get in to. What other advantages in this sector are there in OpenGL? I see nothing in OpenGL that DX cant do, often faster and easier.

Comments

• ClearerClearer Member Posts: 21
    No point in switching from OpenGL to DirectX if you ask me. The problem is that DirectX is Windows only and not too long you will almost be forced to be able to port your code to Mac and or Linux. Which meens you have to rewrite all that nasty DirectX code in your source... which is not fun at all.

Any ways.. I might be wrong and Windows might still be the de facto standard in 20 years from now.
  • gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    [b][red]This message was edited by gautam at 2004-10-7 9:54:54[/red][/b][hr]
    [b][red]This message was edited by gautam at 2004-10-7 9:51:54[/red][/b][hr]
    Ok from 3d standpoint of view there is nothing in Direct3D that openGL can't do. 2D/3D can't change even if you use anything other than Directx or Opengl.

Ofcourse Directx has a lot of helper functions which you can write for OpenGL too.

Regarding defacto standards - Game dev co's want to know how well are your fundamentals as opposed to OpenGL to Direct3D.

Regarding vendor specific extensions - DirectX has it too. OpenGL vendor specific ext allows vendor to test the extensions on hardware and if its successful it may go into the ARB. I think this is not possible in Directx.

In the end no one cares what API you use, but game dev co's care if you don't know how to calculate cross product, dot product,tangent, bitangent(binormal) vectors, surface normals, vector normals etc.

To be frank - to stick in the industry you need to know both.

Lastly do you think Valve and other co's have time to worry about what every stupid extensions that MS suddenly comes up with ?

: OK I dont think it does. But I have heard some disturbing news. Mircosoft apparently works directly with 3d vendors to create hardware supported rendering (HAL functionality). Thus advanced effects work faster than OpenGL, and are easier to implement. (I have dowloaded the DX9 SDK and I actually liked it... built in support for dynamic fast enviro mapping as well as "fur"). With opengl you must hard code these things. Although DX code is rather messy, I am considering switching from OpenGL. I mean I really hate accessing these vendor-specific extensions and DirectX is easier and quickly seams to becoming the standard in Win32 games - the sector I want to get in to. What other advantages in this sector are there in OpenGL? I see nothing in OpenGL that DX cant do, often faster and easier.
    :

• horiahoria Member Posts: 32
    Basically it doesn't matter which 3d graphics library you use : directX or openGL, the only thing that matters is how good the final product. Both directX and openGL come with a lot of helper functions, either directly in the SDK or in other libraryes, and both are very well documented. The only thing that kinda puts openGL in a advantage is the fact that it is cross-platform, while it's competitor is not. Also, I heard rumors about a replacement for directX called Windows Graphics Foundation (WGF) planned by MS in Longhorn but eye'm not certain. What is certain is that Linux and Mac are becoming attractive target-platforms for developers and the only way in which you can build a solid game on those platforms is with openGL.

Anyway, hope that helped!
  • Zell1388Zell1388 Member Posts: 82
    Yes, WGF is coming, but Longhorn will still support DirectX apps.

: Basically it doesn't matter which 3d graphics library you use : directX or openGL, the only thing that matters is how good the final product. Both directX and openGL come with a lot of helper functions, either directly in the SDK or in other libraryes, and both are very well documented. The only thing that kinda puts openGL in a advantage is the fact that it is cross-platform, while it's competitor is not. Also, I heard rumors about a replacement for directX called Windows Graphics Foundation (WGF) planned by MS in Longhorn but eye'm not certain. What is certain is that Linux and Mac are becoming attractive target-platforms for developers and the only way in which you can build a solid game on those platforms is with openGL.
    :
    : Anyway, hope that helped!
    :

• TBoyCppTBoyCpp Member Posts: 26
    I would say YES. The "1.0f" stuff is very weird and not very exact. Also, most games use it.

:-)

[white]Very secret writing.[/white]

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    1.0f implicitly specifies floating point number and is very much C/C++ specific and not opengl related.

x = 1.0f; is valid line in C and is unrelated to any API.

: I would say YES. The "1.0f" stuff is very weird and not very exact. Also, most games use it.
    :
    : :-)
    :
    : [white]Very secret writing.[/white]
    :
    :

• luhnthluhnth Member Posts: 78
    No! OpenGL is supported on most major operating systems while direct X is only supported on windows. Also, for a beginner like me, OpenGL is much easier to grasp. An author said in a DIRECT X PROGRAMMING BOOK that DirectX sucks and OpenGL is god's gift from heaven. I have to agree.

Best Regards,
    CodeKing

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    [b][red]This message was edited by Moderator at 2006-1-1 14:21:35[/red][/b][hr]
    : No! OpenGL is supported on most major operating systems while direct X is only supported on windows. Also, for a beginner like me, OpenGL is much easier to grasp. An author said in a DIRECT X PROGRAMMING BOOK that DirectX sucks and OpenGL is god's gift from heaven. I have to agree.
    :
    : Best Regards,
    : CodeKing
    :
    :
    You realize this thread is going on two years old, right?

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• luhnthluhnth Member Posts: 78

: You realize this thread is going on two years old, right?

Just relized it after I posted. ;-)

Best Regards,
    CodeKing