Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Placing text in a particular area (x,y) [Free Pascal]

PM5KPM5K Posts: 3Member
Hi!
i am doing a project for college and im making a nice looking GUI for my main screen. I have a text border around the screen and i want text to sit in the middle or somewhere in the border. I tried to use "gotoxy" but i dont have the library for it or theres another command that is used. im using free pascal and this is all i can use for the minute, does anyone know where i can get hold of the library file or know an alternative that will do exactly what i want it to do (respect that i cant change the border and GUI setup

thanks
PM5k

Comments

• bpajkbpajk Posts: 156Member
    : Hi!
    : i am doing a project for college and im making a nice looking GUI for my main screen. I have a text border around the screen and i want text to sit in the middle or somewhere in the border. I tried to use "gotoxy" but i dont have the library for it or theres another command that is used. im using free pascal and this is all i can use for the minute, does anyone know where i can get hold of the library file or know an alternative that will do exactly what i want it to do (respect that i cant change the border and GUI setup
    :
    : thanks
    : PM5k
    :
    I sugges writing procedures that puts text in the middle or at the borders. You do it like so:
    [CODE]
    //for text shorter than 80 chars
    procedure PutTextCenter(const s:string; const length, line: byte);
    var column: byte;
    begin
    column:=round((80-length)/2);
    gotoxy(column, line);
    writeln(s)
    end;
    [/CODE]

Something like this, I don't have the compiler on me to test this right now.
  • dolev9dolev9 Posts: 147Member
    well

im not sure about free pascal but try this - its called interrupts.

it will move the text to the location but it wont write anything - just use 'write' after that.

uses dos;
    var
    reg : registers;

begin
    reg.ah := 2;
    reg.bh := 0;
    reg.dh := linenumber;
    reg.dl := rownumber;
    intr($10,reg);
    end.

this program tested under turbo pascal - another example for you.

program bla;
    uses dos,crt;
    var
    reg : registers;

begin
    clrscr;
    reg.ah := 2;
    reg.bh := 0;
    reg.dh := 10;
    reg.dl := 10;
    intr($10,reg);

write('bla');