problem with network - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

problem with network

I'm a newbee in Linux. I got problem in connecting my computer in my network. I have set the IP, IP Broadcast, SubnetMask , but I can't ping to anohter computer in my network. if I ping myself, it just fine. how can I solve this problem?

thanks in advance..

Comments

• ITAITA Posts: 463Member
    What sort of error messages do you recieve?

Is everything plugged in?
    (I'm not an expert but I have a general idea so don't expect all of the answers.)

ITA
  • Michael D.Michael D. Posts: 1Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by Michael D. at 2004-9-29 18:49:44[/red][/b][hr]
    : I'm a newbee in Linux. I got problem in connecting my computer in my network. I have set the IP, IP Broadcast, SubnetMask , but I can't ping to anohter computer in my network. if I ping myself, it just fine. how can I solve this problem?
    :
    : thanks in advance..
    :

This link to tldp.org will tell you everything you need to know. I spent months piecing all of this together, and it was all in one Howto!

Pay special attention to masquerading, and if you are using Windows, you will need to set your primary range in the 192.168.0.x area, and save the 192.168.x.x range for extra lan cards. Let's get your basic network up first:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Authentication-Gateway-HOWTO/setup.html

If you have any Windows machines on your network, you will also want to set up Samba:

http://www.samba.netfirms.com/

I can also help if you have a dial-up connection, and can't get the network and the dial-up to work together.

Good luck,
    Michael