Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

WLAN bridge

PrzemekG_PrzemekG_ Member Posts: 595
Hi,
First of all, I would like to explayn what I will write later:
(those are my definitions, the rest of the world may have other)

Bridge - A computer with two network interfaces that transparently transfer packets between them.

Wirless Bridge - two Bridges connected together by WLAN interfaces (mostly known as Point to Point)

This is the connection schema:
[code]

+-----+ +-------+ +-------+
+ PC1 +________|BRIDGE1|.....WLAN......|BRIDGE2|
+-----+ +-------+ +-------+
|
|
+-----+ +------+ +-----+
| PC2 |_______|SWITCH|________| PC3 |
+-----+ +------+ +-----+
[/code]

I've tries to emulate a bridge, first using twu Planet PCI cards for 2.4 GHz in Ad-Hoc mode (when they detects they are connected, they turn off essid), but the result was rather unstable.

Now I havev 2x DWL-A520 (5 GHz) and I trie a diferant approach, since I use MadWiFi (no AdHoc). One of Bridge2 is in Master mode (AP), Brigde1 is in Managed mode (AP Client).

For Bridge1
[code]
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig ath0 0.0.0.0 up

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 ath0

ifconfig br0 10.0.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
iwconfig ath0 mode managed essid test channel 64 rate 48Mb
[/code]

For Bridge2
[code]
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
ifconfig ath0 0.0.0.0 up

brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 ath0

ifconfig br0 10.0.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
iwconfig ath0 mode master essid test channel 64
[/code]

When they connects, and I try to ping PC2 or PC3 from PC1 or when I try to ping Bridge2 from PC1 (this happens only sometimes), Bridge2's MadWifi module dumps a lot of strange info on the console (and ping reply don't return to the source).

NOW THE BIG QUESTIONS:

Isn't there any kernel module or a program that can setup a wirless brige (Point to Point) on WLAN?

I saw in iwpriv a syscall ap_bridge, any clue what is it?

When an interface is unther Master mode, I can't set it's speed, is there a way to force it ?

Is there a way to prevent unwanted people to connect (accept only specific MAC, no by encription)?

Thanks for help.