Network Intrusion Detection - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Network Intrusion Detection

Hi..
I'm Hardy....i need help here..i have to develop a simple network intrusion detection system using Visual Basic..I've tried to find some free open source of the system but none could really help me...i will really appreciate if anybody could give me the best link to download such simple application..i've seen some examle such as Snort..but for beginner it would be too complex for me to understand the code...
my email is [email protected]
please help me.. thanks..

Comments

• HackmanCHackmanC Posts: 441Member
    I believe the subject is complex by itself, so, the software should be complex. To be a very good one, that should check every packet sent and received by the net, so you should create a driver, not a program. There is a good complex! one, ethercap, and uses nmap i believe, in C for Win32 and *nix.
    If you only want to check for specific actions, something like port scan, then ... ok... vb is a good start. listen to all ports ? mmm...

----------
    : Hi..
    : I'm Hardy....i need help here..i have to develop a simple network intrusion detection system using Visual Basic..I've tried to find some free open source of the system but none could really help me...i will really appreciate if anybody could give me the best link to download such simple application..i've seen some examle such as Snort..but for beginner it would be too complex for me to understand the code...
    : my email is [email protected]
    : please help me.. thanks..
    :

[red]Good luck![/red]
    [blue]Hackman[/blue]

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    : I believe the subject is complex by itself, so, the software should be complex. To be a very good one, that should check every packet sent and received by the net, so you should create a driver, not a program. There is a good complex! one, ethercap, and uses nmap i believe, in C for Win32 and *nix.
    : If you only want to check for specific actions, something like port scan, then ... ok... vb is a good start. listen to all ports ? mmm...
    :
    There is already a driver for packet capture that I *think* you might be able to use in VB:-
    http://winpcap.polito.it/
    You may have to do a little work to translate the C API interface to something you can use in VB, but unless anything really odd is going on you should be able to make it work.

Jonathan

###
    for(74,117,115,116){$::a.=chr};(($_.='qwertyui')&&
    (tr/yuiqwert/her anot/))for($::b);for($::c){$_.=$^X;
    /(p.{2}l)/;$_=$1}$::b=~/(..)$/;print("$::a$::b $::c hack$1.");