Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

XP buttons??

Hey guys,
There was a msg posted on cool buttons(XP look) for the applications we develop using .manifest file a few days back. It was interestin but it looked like tht method can be used only on XP machines. I was looking at how yahoo messenger (version 6) gets the look and found the .manifest file for yahoo msngr exe. So does yahoo also use the same method to get the new interface. And if so, how is that yahoo msngr looks the same in all windows when this method can be used only on XP?? Do they use a different method??
Jst wanted to know coz not many ppl use XP and now after reading abt manifest files, we jst cant use the normal buttons anymore!!

Thnx in advance,
Partha.

Comments

• BitByBit_ThorBitByBit_Thor Posts: 2,444Member
    : Hey guys,
    : There was a msg posted on cool buttons(XP look) for the applications we develop using .manifest file a few days back. It was interestin but it looked like tht method can be used only on XP machines. I was looking at how yahoo messenger (version 6) gets the look and found the .manifest file for yahoo msngr exe. So does yahoo also use the same method to get the new interface. And if so, how is that yahoo msngr looks the same in all windows when this method can be used only on XP?? Do they use a different method??
    : Jst wanted to know coz not many ppl use XP and now after reading abt manifest files, we jst cant use the normal buttons anymore!!
    :
    : Thnx in advance,
    : Partha.
    :
    :

Well, using a Manifest file works for XP. For other versions, you'll need to have a new Control (there are probably user created controls around that look like XP!)
    But, currently I'm using XP (I love it ;-)) but I do have the style of Windows 98. This is because I set my theme to this. So if you were to use such a control, the user would no longer have the ability to choose the look of the controls and there preferences.
    One last note: Once you start, you can never stop! Atleast for in your program. Basically, XP buttons and other controls don't look nice when the other controls and the form are non-xp look. If you are going to implement the look, you should also find a way to update the form!
    My advice: don't do it. Also, the new round-shaped windows are more processor / graphic intensive and can make your program significantly slower!

Greets...
    Richard