run time files - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

run time files

aza_2001aza_2001 Posts: 123Member
Hi

I've made a small "maths skills" testing app for the school i work in, i want the file to be ran from just the exe but the machines i want it on (more then 100) dont have the VB run Time files.

I know there is a way of some how copying the run time files onto the machine when the exe if ran.

Can someone help me out with this and possibly show a bit of code.

Thanks

Aj

Comments

• GideonOmegaGideonOmega Posts: 617Member
    : Hi
    :
    : I've made a small "maths skills" testing app for the school i work in, i want the file to be ran from just the exe but the machines i want it on (more then 100) dont have the VB run Time files.
    :
    : I know there is a way of some how copying the run time files onto the machine when the exe if ran.
    :
    : Can someone help me out with this and possibly show a bit of code.
    :
    : Thanks
    :
    : Aj
    :

you can make a setup program with the package and deployment wizard - check your vb folder - or you can include the run time dll in the same folder with the exe file, I'm running vb 6.0 and the needed file is:
    Msvbvm60.dll

I am currently in the process of making a program to auto run from a cd and incountered the same problem - simply including the above file with the exe will make it run - that is only for the core library however - so if you include any references in your project, make sure you include those dll's with you exe as well. ( When you select a reference it will show you the path and name of the dll in question)

On another note, you do not have to register the run time dll for this to work.

Hope this helps.
    [blue]
    C:Dos
    C:Dos Run
    Run Dos Run
    [/blue]

• BitByBit_ThorBitByBit_Thor Posts: 2,444Member
    Or another fun idea i'm pretty sure you are not going to use:
    (so why do i do it?)

Use a different program language that doesn't require a runtime (like C) and make that a 'loader' program. You could extract the VB EXE and the VB DLL to a temp directory and the run the program. When the program is done you should clean up the files.
    Though this would just be me having a bit of fun and you would have to know some C and some of the API's...

Greets...
    Richard